Do most people get post cdiff ibs or sensitivity?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Do most people get post cdiff ibs or sensitivity?

Postby Machaon » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:34 am

Hi Kat1234!

I hope that you are feeling better while you are taking dificid! Has your condition/health improved while taking dificid? How many days are you taking it?

I am 73, a slight bit older than you. It took about five months for my C-diff to resolve. I suffered thru two months of watery diarrhea and debilitating illness. I am now 36 days after 10 days of dificid and feel great! Can eat whatever I want. No IBS. No discomfort. My strength has slowly returned and now is fully restored, although at first, even walking took a huge effort. So... it is possible to recover from a nasty C-diff infection.

I currently am taking two Jarrow Formulas Saccharomyces Boulardii; and two Dr. Tobias Deep Immune probiotics; and one Dr. Tobias 30 Billion CFUs probiotics; and one NOW 25 Billion Probiotic-10 plus multivitamins and omega3, all of which I also took while on dificid.

I have no idea if what I am taking helped, or is helping, but I am afraid to stop taking them. The stuff is marketed as being very effective, and there are many user comments from C-diff patients who swear by these probiotics, so that is why I take them. It is my attempt to restore and support the good bacteria in my gut. I figure that, while the dificid is killing C-diff (and after), it is a very good time to build much stronger good bacteria, so that my gut has a better chance to withstand another attack by C-diff.

Kefir is supposed to be the best source of probiotics for a healthier gut.

Lastly... be sure to wash your hands, especially when visiting your dad, and especially before eating or doing anything else that requires you to place your hands near your mouth.

Regards, and get well soon, with a full recovery! Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:19 pm

I do have to chime in here...
I know the guidelines were provided for formed stool and not testing, however this is not for ALL patients. I have submitted multiple samples and several have been what would qualify as "formed" yet still tested and positive for c diff (toxins A&B). There are some patients that will be an exception to the rule.. though it is not common.
There were times I tried to hold off on testing because of these guidelines and telling myself "well if it truly was c diff it wouldn't be formed" and it is not the case for me. Again, I can only speak from my own experience and it might have been the type of strain (GI believes to be vanco resistant).

Kat1234
New User

Postby Kat1234 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:29 pm

Sorry I didn't see the second page for a sec. And sadly no my symptoms haven't improved while on it. I've been getting nauseous and dizzy after taking it sometimes on top of my regular cdiff symptoms, which the most annoying one is stomach pain. I've been on dificid 7 days out of the ten that I have them for. Do you think I've been reinfecting myself from not cleaning my house with bleach as often as I should? And thanks for telling me about those probiotics! I'm gonna have to go pick those up. And zapper that sounds like the kind I have too.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:17 pm

Hi Kat!

Nausea (11%) and stomach pain (6%) are listed as possible side effects of dificid.

C-diff can do significant damage to the intestines. Because of this, in my case, the only things I know to do is build up the healthy flora in my intestines and eat a very healthy, low calorie, balanced diet. Kefir is supposed to contain a bunch of probiotics and can be picked up in most grocery stores. The "plain" kefir doesn't have the greatest taste! In other words... ugh!

Are you reinfecting yourself? It's so hard to say. Just keep your fingers away from your mouth and wash your hands frequently, especially before you eat! If I had to guess... your intestines have been damaged. It's going to take quite a while for your intestines to get back into a healthier state. In the meantime, because your intestines are extremely important to your health, damaged intestines can cause all kinds of misery.

Once again, I am not sure if the probiotics that I am taking is helping me, but, after resolving my nasty c-diff infection with dificid, I continued to take probiotics and am currently without any negative effects from my c-diff infection. The only thing different now is that my potties, while formed, are not formed as good as they used to be. I can live with that. It reminds me of the times dogs were part of my life. I also checked their poop to make sure that they were healthy. Now it's my turn! :)

I hope that dificid completely rids you of c-diff and gives you a chance at a good recovery!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:40 pm

The guideline regarding not testing formed stool is there for a very good reason.
Being colonised with c.diff is NOT a disease, it can be normal gut flora.
C.diff colitis is the disease and is associated with a classic set of symptoms.
Some people have immunity to c.diff, they still catch it and test positive but don't develop symptoms.
The same is possible after having an active case of c.diff, the body develops immunity and you never get symptoms again.
Immunity is to the toxins, not the bug, as with all immunity you still get the bug!
Some posters confuse the severe condition "ilius" that c.diff can cause and think that is a reason to test solid stool, I have seen someone with ilius and believe me when I say, if you had that you would know it! Death follows quickly.
Several posters insist on testing solid stool to prove it's gone and freak out when they get a positive result, that's WHY your not supposed to test!
The rules are there to protect you, many people are ignoring them and end up treating and delaying their true recovery.

Kat1234
New User

Postby Kat1234 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:47 pm

Thanks for letting me know Roy. I'll keep that in mind after I finish with these antibiotics, and pay more attention to my symptoms than a test that could be wrong. I do think that I had it this last time even though the test could have been a false positive because I had symptoms, but I will definitely keep it in mind for the future. Hopefully my symptoms will stop after this round of dificid is up.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”