Labor & Delivery or Major Surgery after CDiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
User12
Brand New Poster

Labor & Delivery or Major Surgery after CDiff

Postby User12 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:01 am

Hi All,
First, a thank you to everyone on this site whose positive stories, especially about post-c-diff pregnancies, gave me the courage to have a second child. I've never posted before, but reading your stories has made all the difference.

I'm now (age 41) due in two weeks with baby #2 and after multiple conversations with my OB, still feeling unsettled about how to deal with antibiotics during this delivery. I'm wondering if anyone who beat cdiff once or more can share what worked/didn't for them for post-cdiff labor & delivery or any surgery requiring prophylactic antibiotics?

I got cdiff as a result of taking IV Clindamycin, then Cephalexin, to treat a post-cesarean infection + mastitis 2.5 years ago with my first child. I was among the very lucky who was cured with one round of flagyl, but the infection and recovery over the next 6+ months were absolutely terrible, especially on top of being a new mom.

For this delivery, my doctor is recommending we try a vbac with the hope of avoiding all antibiotics. If it doesn't seem to be going well, he'd go right to c-section, without any induction attempts. If a fever arises during the vbac (I hear fevers are common with epidurals, so still trying to figure that out), he'd treat it with ampacillin (high cdiff offender), gentimycin (low cdiff offender), and vanco. If we switched to c-section, he'd give the standard prophylaxis (waiting to hear what that includes) with 2g of ancef (high offender). He has made quite some effort to come to this decision, talking with an OB with an infectious disease background and the head of CDiff at the hospital. That said, I'm delivering at a large city hospital that has quite a high rate of CDiff infection (and I suspect a lot of other intense surgical infections, which makes them not want to proceed antibiotic-free).

Any feedback you can share about how you dealt with antibiotics during post-cdiff labor & delivery or major surgery would be so appreciated. I've read a number of related posters' comments on the site and would love to hear what worked/didn't work for people. I cannot wait until this disease is a thing of the past.

Thanks so much,
JN

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: Labor & Delivery or Major Surgery after CDiff

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:13 am

Hello JN - Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users. I am sorry that I can't comment on labor and delivery after c-diff, as I did not go through that. However, it sounds like your doctor is making sure to do the best treatment plan possible for you to avoid a c-diff re-infection. I can tell you that if I were in your shoes, I would only take an antibiotic if my doctor absolutely thought it was necessary. I also would want to take the least risky antibiotic to cause c-diff. We have a list by risk under CDI-All You Need to Know. And lastly, I would do everything in my power to defend against c-diff, including taking probiotics, hand washing, and making sure that anybody that handles my food is using gloves and taking the proper precautions while I was in the hospital. I wish you all the best on your upcoming delivery. It is really great that you focused on the positive stories and didn't let fear of c-diff get in the way of having a second child. Good luck to you.

Lisa

User12
Brand New Poster

Postby User12 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:19 am

Lisa, Thank you so much for your thoughts below. Just hearing them from someone else who has been through this helps me be prepared to stand up for myself as we get closer to the day.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:13 am

To add to Lisa's post
I would only eat food that has been brought into the hospital by family, only drink fluid from sealed bottles that have been brought in, and not use any cups plates or cutlery supplied by the hospital (buy disposable).

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Oct 19, 2017 8:15 am

Hi User and congrats on your pregnancy
Your c diff history is similar to mine.
I was treated fairly easily but had a long and tough recovery.
I too had surgery but not L&D and received ancef IV during surgery.

In preparation I took Florastor 1 in the am and pm along with Align probiotic in the am starting a few weeks before surgery and continuing for about 3 months after surgery at which time I dropped the pm Florastor. Luckily I was fine.

Whether that had any impact I don’t know for sure but it didn’t hurt. Have some yogurt for lunches as well but I did not go as crazy as sauerkraut or kefir or any of that. Of course as Lisa said the handwashing was key as usual.

Best of luck to you and enjoy your children.
Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”