Terrified

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Terrified

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:58 pm

I am 45 yrs old and 18 months post c diff infection and have tested negative 4 times. Aside from mild ibs, I have been doing fairly well so far. I've continued with Florastor and either a Bio K or VSL3 for some time now. In May I had my gallbladder out via laparoscopic surgery (with 1 dose of iv antibiotic) and survived that.

I've had a tender (and slightly painful) swollen lymph node on my armpit for about 6 weeks. I initially chalked it up to my cycle and wanted to see if it went away. It hasn't. I saw my PCP last week and she felt it to. However, she didn't feel anything else unusual during my breast exam but ordered a 3D diagnostic mammogram, a CBC and some other blood work. I received blood work back on Friday and everything looked good. No elevated WBC or anything that showed infection. I am scheduled to have the mammogram tomorrow. I haven't had one in 3 yrs so I am past due for one. I am first hoping and praying the results from the mammogram show no malignancy. However, I am also very concerned about the swollen lymph node, what would be causing it and obviously the potential of antibiotic use for the lymph node. Assuming, my mammogram results are good, I would imagine they'd want to biopsy the node but I could be wrong. What would the next step be and could they determine what could be causing it? Idk if that would entail removing it or using a thin needle to take a sample. I also do not want to be prescribed a strong antibiotic without knowing what is causing it. If I do need to go on strong antibiotics, should I increase the VSL3 to 2 a day? or more? I would also plan on Florastor. Does anyone know what kind of antibiotics would be given for something like this? I should know more tomorrow but I am terrified.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Terrified

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Try not to panic until results are in. I know how difficult all the waiting is. Until all of the results, you can't know what type of additional tests or treatment you may need. I know so many of us carry that fear of antibiotics, I am unsure how to overcome that because I have the same fear.

Sometimes with any type of medical issues, it get's down to waiting. I wish I had a better answer here. I would continue on the VSL#3 that you have been taking.

Wishing you the best with this and hope your results come in soon

NanciT

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

Thank you, Nanci. I agree but it is so difficult.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:36 pm

It is very difficult. Maybe call and see if you can get the Mammo report sooner. If all is well, call your MD back about the lymph node or set up another visit to get an explanation.

The waiting can be the worst

NanciT

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:41 am

I know it's hard not to worry, but sometimes lymph nodes swell up and there is not a terrible cause for it. If there are no other symptoms, chances are there is not an infection. There are many lymph nodes in the area that you described, and I am thinking that it is not uncommon to feel one from time to time. I had a swollen lymph node in my armpit once that went away on its own after some time. I am sending positive vibes to you for a clean mammo. I really think you are going to be just fine. Let us know how your appt goes.

Lisa

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am

Thank you, Lisa. Just got back home. Everything is clear so I am ecstatic. The radiologist said everything looked good and really wasn't concerned about the node. He seemed to think it could of been from shaving. He said to give it a couple of weeks and if it's still bothering me to see my pcp. i'm hoping my pcp feels the same way about it but for now I feel relief. Thank you!

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:19 pm

My daughter had something like that in her armpit a few weeks ago - appeared suddenly and disappeared just as quickly after a week or two. Weird. We were stressed at the thought of an infection or having to drain it or something. I REALLY hate this fear of antibiotics which has now become a life long concern for her. Well, the best we can do is take things a day at a time and try to make the best decisions for antibiotics if the need arises.

I'm so glad things are okay for you!!!

AnxiousJ
Regular Contributor

Postby AnxiousJ » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:09 am

AMG- Thank you so much! I agree...it is such a tremendous fear I have. Hoping that continuing with very good quality probiotics will pay off if/ when the need arises.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”