Nausea/ No appetite after cdiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ae123
New User

Nausea/ No appetite after cdiff

Postby Ae123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi, so I've been off Vanco for almost 3 weeks. Was feeling good up until yesterday I ate Chinese and started feeling dizzy, weak and nauseous then finally threw up. Ever since I've been feeling nauseous, no appetite (forced myself to eat a cup of applesauce today) I haven't had straight D, but my stools are either firm or slightly loose. When I was first diagnosed with cdiff, vomiting and nausea were my major symptoms. I'm worried this is a relapse, but am hoping my stomach couldn't handle the Chinese, or it was slight food poisoning.

Just wondering if anyone has dealt with anything similar after cdiff and it wasn't a relapse?

roy
Administrator

Re: Nausea/ No appetite after cdiff

Postby roy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:12 pm

Google "fried rice syndrome"

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Oct 13, 2017 2:18 pm

Chinese food can be difficult to handle even for those with more iron stomachs - never mind someone only three weeks off of Vanco. It is best to stick with a bland diet for quite some time and add food slowly (avoiding greasy choices like American Chinese food, pizza, etc. in the beginning especially) to see what you can tolerate.

I would give yourself a few days to see how you feel. If the nausea passes and your stools remain firm then would attribute the symptoms to not ideal food choices and let your stomach rest some before introducing difficult to digest items.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:13 pm

I agree Chinese food can be really tough on the gut, I have only had it a few times and I am still reluctant.

Keep an eye on the 3 day rule. My relapses always involved more vomiting then D. The D for me was not bad, 3-4 times in the am but I felt very sick and had abdominal pain, nausea and could tell it was back.

Hopefully this will clear up soon for you, start with a bland diet when you are feeling better

NanciT

Soimez
Contributor

Postby Soimez » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:57 pm

Hi there, it is all part of normal recovery, make sure you are adding fermented foods like kefir and even a folk full of sauerkraut daily also pick yourself up some bio k..

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:15 pm

I was able to regain somewhat of an appetite tonight. Haven't vomited since the one time yesterday. Hoping it was the Chinese! No more of that for me! And here I thought eating rice would be ok. =O

It's worrisome anytime I get nauseous, no appetite and vomit because those were my main symptoms with active cdiff.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:59 pm

I couldn’t even tolerate Chinese even before cdiff. I would def think that your issues could be food related. Obviously if it lasts for 3 or more days you might want to see your doc. For now, stay with bland eating til your stomach settles.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”