Why does c diff come back

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Tonypg
Brand New Poster

Why does c diff come back

Postby Tonypg » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:38 pm

Last Year I Had C Diff over summer took Flagyl for 14 days didn't work gave me oral thrush did Vancomysin and gave me hives but cured it
I haven't been on antibiotics since I believe December I only took flex 2 weeks ago for day and half then stopped now cliff came back what could of caused it to come back.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Re: Why does c diff come back

Postby Zapper » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:43 pm

If your cdiff was in spore form it can lie dormant as long as your good bacteria keeps it in check.. I am convinced it never goes away entirely. Do you take probiotics? Did they do a stool sample to confirm? Sorry you are going through this again.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:14 pm

Hi, have you had a positive C Diff test at this point? There are many possible risk factors for it to come back or it can be that you have a new infection. Any further details you could give about your current health condition would give insight into why this may be happening with you. I had 3 recurrences and was finally cured with an FMT. So sorry you are having to go through this again! It is absolutely awful and scary. BTW, Flagyl gave me oral thrush too. It took multiple rounds of Diflucan for me to finally beat that also.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:24 am

Hi Tonypg - Welcome to the site. So sorry that you are a c-diff sufferer. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc.

As the others asked, have you had a positive test result ? I am not sure what "Flex" is. As Zapper said, the spore can lie dormant in our gut, and if there isn't enough good bacteria to keep it in check, it can come out and cause another infection. However, usually antibiotics are the main culprits for killing off the good bacteria. Probiotics, especially sacchromyces boulardii can be very beneficial in restoring and keeping that good bacteria intact. If you have tested positive for the toxins, maybe discuss Dificid for treatment this go-around. It has a high cure rate and does not kill off the good bacteria.

Hope you feel better,
Lisa

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Keflex (cephalexin) is a cephalosporin and the pack insert states that it can cause c.diff.
Someone that has had c.diff should only take antibiotics if they are definatley needed and their illness has been proven to be a bacterial infection.
Future antibiotic use should be closely monitored and not be routinely used for minor self limiting infections.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”