Worried about possible toilet water being contaminated

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
cydeways
New User

Worried about possible toilet water being contaminated

Postby cydeways » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:18 am

Hello,

I have been lurking for a while and figured I'd ask this

I am 6 weeks post c diff (1 good formed bm a day)

Last night I heard my brother throwing up in the toilet after a night of drinking. I can't help but be worried that
some water splashed up and he ended up ingesting some spores from the water splashing in his mouth.

Now, the toilet has not been bleached in a while and I haven't had d in 6 weeks.
I do pour various cleaners like pinesol and fabuloso in the toilet once every week though.
Should I be worried about him contracting it? Wouldn't the cleaning products wash the cdiff away down the toilet in the same
way that soap and water washes the c diff off your hands?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Worried about possible toilet water being contaminated

Postby georgina » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:37 am

If the products you used are sporocid or if you used bleach to decontaminate your toilet that time when you had active cdiff (with diarrhea) your brother should be safe.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:51 am

I think the likelihood of the water actually getting into his mouth is small. But, lots of people ingest c diff spores from the environment. They are on many surfaces. Unless he is on antibiotics of immuno-compromised, there shouldn't be a problem. You can call your doctor and ask if you are worried though.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:52 am

As a precaution for both of you, i would add some bleach in the toilet after using it.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:43 pm

I agree with Bobbie. I bleach my toilet after every bm even tho I have been cdiff free for weeks. Better safe than sorry.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”