loved one is sick--protecting myself from relapse?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
KLor
Contributor

loved one is sick--protecting myself from relapse?

Postby KLor » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:17 pm

Hello everyone,

It's been a long time since I posted on here (thankfully!)--just to recap, I contracted c. diff in Oct 16 during an unhygienic hospital stay. Went through Flagyl and 2 doses of Vanco before a round of Dificid worked. I have been infection-free and steadily more and more gut-stable since Jan 17.

My mom is having a tough time with diverticulitis right now--she is currently on her second round of Cipro in 2 months. I lived with her the whole time I was actively infected. As of today, she is exhibiting frequent WD.

I recognize that this could easily be a non-c. diff side effect of Cipro, or a symptom of the diverticulitis itself. I still worry that it *could* be c. diff.

I will be caring for her as she recovers--fixing her meals, staying at her house in case she needs help, getting meds, etc. I'm looking for some help to make sure I stay c. diff-free even if she is currently infected.

30-second hand-washing with vigorous scrubbing I've got; also paper towels instead of hand towels, spraying down the toilet with Clorox before I use them and flushing ahead with the lid closed; and I will work so, so hard to keep my hands out of my mouth.

What else can I do? Recovery has been hard-won, and I cannot go back to where I was--but my mom is still my mom, and I need to take care of her and make sure she doesn't feel like a pariah.

Suggestions are much appreciated! Thank you.

ResearchGrandma
Regular Contributor

Re: loved one is sick--protecting myself from relapse?

Postby ResearchGrandma » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:51 pm

If your mom is having watery D and is on a second course of Cipro I would suggest that she/you should inform her doctors and request that she be tested for C. diff

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:32 pm

If your Mom's D continues, have her tested. With your history of CDIFF and her recent CIPRO it is what I would do. Hand washing is number one with medical asepsis by far the most important thing we do so keep that up and continue with what you are doing.
I would also consider having her start a probiotic, eat yogurt etc. Check with her physician but many physicians are now putting patients on Probiotics while in the hospital and on antibiotics. I have seen this a great deal recently at several hospitals

Hope she is better soon!

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:18 am

Definitely have her tested for Cdiff , Cipro is one of the high offenders , she could have developed the disease. Don't waste precious time because it can be dangerous , untreated Cdiff can be life threatening.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 am

Definitely have her tested and call her doctor tomorrow and ask about taking a probiotic. My mother had antibiotics after her bouts with c difficile and she took probiotics the whole time. She got WD, but it was not c difficile. Once she was off the antibiotics, the D stopped. The probiotics also helped. She had taken them regularly and then in the hospital they gave her a different one that did not agree, but when she got back on the one she was used to, the D got better.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”