Increased Risk for CDI

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Mindy
Regular User

Increased Risk for CDI

Postby Mindy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:49 am

I had an FMT via colonoscopy, followed by 30 frozen pills the next morning a little over two years ago. I live in complete fear of respiratory infections, sinus infections, dental work, surgeries etc. My question is...Are we still at an increased risk of another CDI or is our risk level even with the general population? Do we still carry the spores dormant in our bodies, just waiting for an antibiotic? If so, what daily steps can we take to help strengthen our microbiome?

roy
Administrator

Re: Increased Risk for CDI

Postby roy » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:25 am

Most research suggests that once you have c.diff thats caused by antibiotics your at a higher risk of getting it again, probably a new infection, not because you did not clear the last one.
Your gut flora reacted badly to antibiotics in the past and is likely to do the same if you take them again.
Most of the ailments you mention are self limiting and antibiotics are not needed.
Antibiotic stewardship is your best defence against c.diff.
American Drs still prescribe antibiotics for minor ailments and American patients still seem to expect them as a quick fix.
UK Drs were instructed not to overprescribe and now have notices in the waiting room telling patients that they should not expect a Dr to prescribe them.
That has resulted in a massive reduction of c.diff in UK.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:49 pm

I have relapsed after antibiotic use with c diff despite having had FMT. Everyone is different. Should you need an antibiotic, try to get one that is less likely to cause c difficile. There is a list on CDI information here that you can print out.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:18 pm

I think we all fear antibiotics and as Roy mentioned they are often not needed in so many cases. I did need an antibiotic last year due to a UTI after a culture was done and the only one that would kill the infection was Keflex which is a high offender.

After my battle of 10 months with CDIFF I was very worried, but fortunately it did not return. I continued on Probiotics and still take them

We need to be extra careful and only take them when necessary.

NanciT

Mindy
Regular User

Postby Mindy » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:01 am

Nancy, what probiotics do you take?

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:04 am

Regarding treating infections with antibiotics.

I used to suffer from multiple annual sinus infections. Each time I would visit an ENT for Amoxicillin. One year I decided to let it go... no antibiotic! I just covered it up with a steroid nasal spray. I started becoming extremely sensitive to a lot of odors and chemicals and dyes and materials and foods, etc., that never bothered me before. I continued to ignore the sinus infection.

After I finally got rid of the sinus infection, via Amoxicillin, my system remained extremely sensitive to many things and has remained that way to today. One of my worst decisions! Fortunately, I finally found a way to rid myself of sinus infections, but it was too late!
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:38 am

Mindy

I have continued with VSL#3 ( just ONE per day)and also Activia each day

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”