Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Machaon
Regular Contributor

Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Postby Machaon » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:29 am

What are the odds? What percentage of C-diff patients recover and never have another relapse? Should I continue taking FIVE Saccharomyces Boulardii (SB) + MOS, 5 Billion Organisms Per Cap along with several other probiotics, plus yogurt, each day?

Saccharomyces Boulardii (SB), especially, has been shown to be effective in preventing recurrence of C-diff and also to be effective against IBS. In fact, it's the only probiotic that has been shown to be effective against C-diff.

During the past ten days of "recovery" from C-diff, post-dificid, I've been improving each day. My potties are getting better. I am somewhat constipated but no cramps or gas pains; and when things finally let loose, the potties ain't bad. It's weird because I am improving similarly to how I improved while on either dificid or vancomycin, except I am not on any medications.

I will continue taking my probiotics, especially the five Saccharomyces Boulardii, because I am afraid to change anything. I still eat three large salads per day.

What are the odds that my battles with C-diff are finally over??
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Postby NanciT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:21 pm

I think you are doing GREAT! We all carry that "fear" will it come back! Just try and move forward and do what is working for you! Don't be put off by an "off" day here or there.

It's been a journey and each of us understands.....

Enjoy each day......try not to look back!

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:03 am

It sounds as if you are doing very well. If things continue as they are, I would try to taper down the Sacc. Boulardii a bit, but after a while. Not sure it is good to have that much yeast in you and if you have heart issues, ask your heart doctor about taking that much. It seems that you are doing well with it though. Some people, like me, continue to take probiotics. I don't tolerate Sacc Boulardii, but I take VSL#3. Whatever helps you is the guideline here. Hopefully, Dificid did the trick!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:21 am

Thanks for your response, NanciT!

This website has really been of great help!

You advise against over-reacting to an "off" day. That's hard not to do! On the other hand, I believe that there is a war going on in my gut right now that will probably go on for a long, long time; between newly hatched C-diff and protective gut bacteria.

According to Harvard Medical School, only 1% to 3% of healthy adults harbor C. diff among their normal intestinal bacteria, and, even then, C. diff is present in tiny numbers and is usually harmless. That makes me believe that I contracted C-diff at the hospital that I had frequently visited for Coumadin testing, and that the Clindamycin that I took because of a dental infection allowed the C-diff spores to attack my unprotected gut. I don't believe that I was one of the 1% to 3% who naturally harbored C-diff.

I will always look back. I will never get those horrible C-diff days out of my mind. This morning I had a normal potty. That will comfort me until right before the next potty.

Thanks, again!

Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 11:48 am

Hi beth22, thanks for responding!

I don't know how long I will continue to take: five of Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion; === two of Dr. Tobias Deep Immune; === one of Dr. Tobias 30 Billion CFUs, 10 Strains Probiotics for Women and Men; === one of NOW 25 Billion Probiotic-10; === 5000 iu vit d3. I don't know what is working and what is not. I just don't want to change anything. I won't even change putting my left sneaker on before putting on my right sneaker!

Dificid, combined with 1.25gm of Saccharomyces Boulardii and other probiotics, was great over the 10 days. I kept getting better and better, with almost no symptoms or side effects, except for gurgling, which I still have. I felt that something positive was happening that did not occur with vancomycin.

Sorry that you cannot tolerate Saccharomyces Boulardii, but it is good that you can take VSL#3!

My theory is that, once one gets C-diff, one never gets rid of it. There is always going to be a war between newly hatched and older C-diff bacteria and the protective bacteria in the gut. One's symptoms depend upon the strength and health of the protective bacteria.

Thanks, again, for your opinion and comments.

Bob
Last edited by Machaon on Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 77 S.Florida

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:23 pm

To put probiitics into perspective you have to realise that they do not multiply, they are temporary residents and gone 72 hours after you take them and almost none are the same as normal natural flora.
Ignore the so called "billions" of bacteria in a dose as well.
Now work out what a pill weighs or even the whole bottle of them.
Compare that to the average weight of the normal gut flora.
Check it out for yourself, it's around 4 pounds!
It's not surprising that some Drs think they are a waste of money.
Florestor "might" be the exception as it's thought that it likes to live in, or on, the same receptors as c.diff, so c.diff just moves on to it's next home.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:50 pm

I was on a two year blind study for s boulardi years ago. It neither helped or hurt me. It has helped some. If it helps you, keep using it.

I also was on a study for VSL3 without luck.

We are all different and respond to meds/ supplements differently.

Sounds as though you are doing well. Yahoo"

midway
New User

Postby midway » Sat Sep 23, 2017 3:54 pm

Roy, I've never heard your facts about probiotics only sticking around for the time that they move through your gut. Here I was thinking that they help to repopulate your gut flora, whether it's normal gut flora or not.

Probiotics are definitely used pretty heavily by this forum's users, and I'm one of them! Almost a year from my last dose of vancomycin, I still take Florastor, VSL#3, and another lesser-known probiotic that claims to be good for C diff. I've read of people that wean off of probiotics when they feel clear from the CDI, and others continue a moderate dosage forever. What are the general thoughts on long-term probiotic usage to keep C diff at bay, even without being prescribed any probiotics?

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:04 pm

Roy, thanks for your comments about probiotics. You've caused me to have to do quite a bit of research. Most articles state that little is known about probiotics and more research is necessary. I found no articles that cause me to change my use of probiotics, especially Saccharomyces Boulardii, (marketed as Florastor as well as other brands) which has been shown to be effective against IBS and C-diff.

My wife never took probiotics before and doesn't have a well balanced diet, IMHO. She couldn't take the Saccharomyces Boulardii but the 10 strain, 40 billion cfu, has helped her.

In my case, I could not be happier. After five months of dealing with C-diff, including two months of nasty, debilitating symptoms, I can't believe that my potties are close to normal, I feel very good and I am not on any antibiotics. I am only on a bunch of probiotics, which I intend to continue taking.

Would dificid have been just as effective without the probiotics? I don't know. Would I be doing as well as I am doing without the probiotics? I don't think so.

Had three solids today, at 10am, at 12:30pm and at 4:15pm. First time in five months!

Thanks again for your comments.

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Machaon on Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Male 77 S.Florida

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:08 pm

Research yourself about how long probiitics stay in your gut, you will be surprised.
They are a can't hurt might help addition to mainstream treatment.
Some people swear by their probiotic pills and some swear at them!
At best they are a temporary addition but might not agree with some people's gut.
If it works for you don't change it!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Hi Bobbie!

Sorry that the s boulardii was not effective and it's a shame that the VSL3 didn't work for you. It is a potent probiotic.

I hesitated to post that I am doing well. There are so many here that are struggling. I hope that something that I am doing can be of help to some other nutcase like me!

Getting elderly, I am 73, I thought was just a number. Immune system not as good. So what!? My goodness. Whoever coined the phrase "growing older gracefully" should be taken out and shot!

Thanks for your comment. I hope to, some day soon, return the Yahoo!

Take care, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:53 pm

Getting older myself.
I want to grow old disgracefully!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 8:12 pm

Some people who never had c difficile take probiotics. In Europe it was popular way before it became popular here. Whatever works is good. If you experience no side effects, then continue. However, if others are reading this, don't start out taking 5 doses of a probiotic at once. They do not agree with everyone and can give you the very symptoms you are trying to rid yourself of. Start with a normal dose and if it agrees, you can always increase.

As for me, I'll settle for just growing old without a lot of complications. Been dealing with c diff after effects for way too long!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:01 pm

I totally agree with Beth. In fact, after reading posts by those for whom dificid was successful without a lot of probiotics, I feel kinda stupid taking such a load of probiotics!

But... I will continue my "misguided" use of a load of probiotics out of fear, until I feel confident enough to reduce them.
Male 77 S.Florida

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Sep 23, 2017 10:26 pm

I took more s. Boulardii during recovery on advice from my GI- twice daily. I did that for the first 6 months - 1 year then switched to 1 Align in the morning for IBS and 1 s. Boulardii at night. I think that's sufficient.

And Roy, I am stealing your line about growing old disgracefully, although I am fighting growing old in an manner!

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”