Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
MKW
Regular Contributor

Re: Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Postby MKW » Sun Sep 24, 2017 7:40 pm

Lots of good discussion on probiotics here, and I wanted to make a few comments on this. In my last year+ since my first bout with C Diff everything I have read says that probiotics are NOT proven to repopulate gut bacteria and are typically NOT bacteria strains that are a normal part of gut flora. So this has left me wondering... how do I successfully repopulate normal beneficial gut flora. Having IBS makes it difficult to tolerate a lot of the foods on the prebiotic food list. There are so many countless probiotics being sold now, but no real info out there on how to truly restore a healthy gut microbiome.

roy
Administrator

Re: Ten days post-dificid. After 5 months of C-diff, 3 relapses. Could it be over it? Could it?

Postby roy » Sun Sep 24, 2017 8:47 pm

MKW, basically you repopulate the same way as you caught c.diff, you swallow the good bacteria it's everywhere, on food, on your skin, in water, etc.
After c.diff treatment there's still some bacteria that survived and it's added to.
Babies guts are sterile before their born, 50% of their eventual gut bacteria is picked up in the birth canal during birth.
The remainder is acquired from the environment in the first 2 years of life and stays almost unaltered into adult hood.
All that crawling and putting things in their mouth is nature's probiitic.
To me it makes sense that if it takes 2 years for a babies gut to mature then it probably takes 2 years for an adult gut flora to recover from antibiotic devastation.
Theres truth in the saying that kids that play in dirt are healthier than kids that are kept clean all the time!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:53 am

MKW, I don't know if the probiotics that I am taking repopulate my gut bacteria or are a normal part of my gut flora.

That said, I am now 13 days post-dificid and have had good potties, especially over the past three days. I suffer from no gas pains, or any abdominal or intestinal discomfort. I feel pretty good. I also am eating three large salads per day. I do have gurgling which I do not notice most of the time. I do listen to my gut with a stethoscope and am surprised to hear that the rumbling and gurgling go on all the time! Is that normal? Does everyone's gut make all kinds of noises? Regardless, I feel that there is a war going on down there, C-diff versus protective gut flora. So... whether or not the probiotic supplements permanently repopulate my gut flora or not, I will continue taking them, especially after suffering two months of life-sapping C-diff misery and taking a total of five months to experience possible resolution.

I take five of Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, 5 Billion; === two of Dr. Tobias Deep Immune; === one of Dr. Tobias 30 Billion CFUs, 10 Strains Probiotics for Women and Men; === one of NOW 25 Billion Probiotic-10; === 5000 iu vit d3. This load of probiotics certainly doesn't seem to be doing me any harm.
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:07 pm

Bob - Have your vitamin D level tested at some point. I was taking about 3,000 units per day and my vitamin D got too high. You live in Florida. I don't know how much sun you get, but you may not need that much vitamin D. I have mine checked every so often to make sure my levels are good, but not too high. Glad you are feeling better.

And yes, your intestines and GI tract always make sounds. If they don't, then you have a problem. My dad had an ileus and one of the signs was no bowel sounds, so you do want to hear that gurgling. If you had listened before c diff, you probably would have heard it too.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:54 am

It's normal to hear constant noises from your intestines (of course not very load noises), that means that they are working properly , when they stop making noises that is really a problem as Beth said.
The probiotics from a pill are unable to reseed the gut , they will just help for awhile as they are temporary residents that supposedly "fill the gaps" that bad bacteria want to occupy until the good flora grows back.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:40 am

Sounds lke you're doing well..just relax and hope a week gets added and before you know it, you'll be at the 3 month mark, which is a good sign that you're on you way.
Probiootics are a personal choice. I personally can't take them, they make me sick and give me D. I met a wonderful GI in my travels who asked why do you want to take them? Becuase I've been told they're critical to healing. His response, funny I haven't seen that as a proven fact. I never questiooned my inability to take them again. I respect everyone's right to do what the feel works for them but I know longer feel my progress in going to end because i don't take them. I'm now 5 months post c-diff and eatint evertying again without isssue and except for a different health issue, feeling great. Good luck!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:58 am

Beth22, I will certainly be mindful of my Vitamin D intake and levels, thanks!

It is beautiful down here in Florida, especially the sky. I enjoy getting out under the sun, but this time of year, the sun is scorching hot!

I have never heard of an ileus. Goodness, there are so many things that can happen to us! Prior to this year, I had never heard of C-diff. What a rotten, ugly infection. It's bad enough to be sick, but to have to battle nasty problems with your bowels, while being very sick, is not fair! It's almost like some evil power decided to invent a nasty illness that would drive even the strongest among us to their knees!

Nevertheless, you have eased some of my concerns over the gurgling, thanks!

Regards, and thanks for your comments, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:07 pm

Hi georgina!

Okay, I'll let my stomach gurgle as much as it wants. There's no pain or discomfort coming from it so I guess I'll just sit back and enjoy the music! :)

There are so many unknowns about probiotics and prebiotics. I've read that, in cases where the beneficial bacteria has been decimated, probiotic supplements can reestablish some good gut flora.

In any case, the probiotic supplements seem to be having a positive effect. The only way to really know is to stop taking them, which I intend to do after I feel that it is safe to do.

Thanks for your comments, regards Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:19 pm

Hi sophie!

Okay, at the two weeks mark, looking towards 3 months. This is the longest I've gone without C-diff symptoms coming back.

I've done a lot of research on probiotic supplements. There are so many sources and very few creditable ones. Lots of opinions. I stay away from sources that sell probiotics or sell themselves. There are very strong links supporting probiotic supplements helping bowel problems, like IBS or C-diff. One size does not fit all when it comes to how our bodies react to supplements, medicines and foods.

You are five (5) months post C-diff! That is GREAT! More than that, you can eat just about anything that you want! Sounds like a real strong recovery. For me, it's still day by day. I am fearful of my next potty, even though I've had solids for five days.

Thanks for your comments! Keep up the good fight!

Regards, Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”