Recovery Question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jdoo
New User

Recovery Question

Postby jdoo » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:02 pm

So I finished 12 days of Flagyl 500mg qid for 12 days which was not successful and then took Vancomycin 125mg qid for 12 days. Things improved somewhat and I went to the Gastro today and he told me he thinks I am doing well and do not need another antibiotic. I told him that for the last 2 days I have bee having about 4-5 bowel movements that are pudding consistency, that I have a lot of gas and frequent stomach gurgling that lasts for awhile. He prescribed me Dicyclomine 20mg bid for the gurgling and gas. He told me to call back if the watery diarrhea came back. Is this normal after treatment?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recovery Question

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:05 pm

It can be and it can also be the start of a relapse. Just keep an eye on it. If things get worse, call the doctor back. Otherwise try to stick to a bland diet for a while. Raw vegetables and fruit, dairy are usually a problem for many.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:39 pm

Hi Jdoo

It takes time to recover. The medication should help but time is often what it take. Keep a close eye on your diet, if you have one or two off days, think back to what you ate.
As far as BM's they can be all over the place in recovery and for some time. Your experience is very typical of CDIFF recovery

Give it time and hopefully the medication will help

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:20 am

Having 4-5 BM every single day is definitely not normal for a non ex-Cdiffer but after Cdiff it is not uncommon , stools will be abnormal in early recovery but as time goes by they will get shape. As others said , stay on a bland diet and as your gut heals add more foods back into your diet, try to avoid looking down the toilet as it will only create more anxiety and anxiety will give u more symptoms. Also be careful about the amount of probiotics you are taking , taking too much probiotic can give symptoms similar to a relapse.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”