Question about recovery

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Kissy
Brand New Poster

Question about recovery

Postby Kissy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:46 pm

I am a 40 year old female and tested positive with C Diff Tuesday. Not sure if I contacted because of the antibiotic Ancef or not cause I didn't get symptoms until 3 almost 4 weeks after stopping it. I was in the hospital for 5 days due to a surgical site infection August 6 - 11.
Anyway my Dr prescribed Flagyl but unfortunately that day my pharmacy never received the electronic prescription that day. I had a prescription for flagyl at home (a couple days worth) so I started that one until I could get a hold of the Dr the next day. I didn't get a hold of them until a couple days later and the pharmacy still hasn't received that prescription. My question though is my movements were only 1 time a day for after taking flagyl 1 day and I'm out of flagyl but no movement in 2 days is that normal? And also should I go to the Dr Monday and ask for the prescription in person and start taking it or is it possible my body is fighting it on its own or is it something more serious happening?

roy
Administrator

Re: Question about recovery

Postby roy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:24 pm

C.diff can often be "cured" by our immune system. It meets c.diff many times during our life and most of the time nature just deals with it and we don't notice any symptoms.
It sounds like your immune system is doing it's job and brought the c.diff (overgrowth) back to normal levels and the typical D has stopped.
To me thats the best possible result and I would not be wanting to treat something thats already gone away.
Dont forget that the disease is colitis that's caused by c.diff overgrowth.
Having c.diff in your gut can be a normal part of the healthy gut flora so testing if you don't have symptoms is not recommended.
If you get pain and bloating and still can't pass a BM go to your Dr.

Kissy
Brand New Poster

Postby Kissy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:19 pm

Thank you for the reply. Bloating is natural for me. This whole situation has stumped my family and I. I've been on and off flagyl and other antibiotics for the past 2 months due to 2 surgeries and the surgical site infection so trying to narrow all this down to how I got it is mindblowing to me. I will contact my GI to let her know about these past couple days and to tell her that once again the pharmacy never received the script. I found some more flagyl that the gyno told me to discontinue almost a month ago due to my testing negative for bacterial vaginosis. If I start getting the diarrhea with B and M again before Monday I will start taking it again.
Thank you!

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:26 pm

Check the strength of the pills you have, c.diff is treated with a higher dose than most infections, you don't want to be taking pills that are too weak to kill c.diff but still damage your good flora.
Best not to self medicate.

Kissy
Brand New Poster

Postby Kissy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:40 pm

They are the same strength 500 mg 3 times a day only I can never seem to get 3 taken in a day. When I was in the hospital they had problems getting me to take them 3 times a day because of sleep patterns I have.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:40 pm

To be frank, if you had active c.diff sleep pattern would be the least of your problems. You would be more than willing to be woke up to take your medication!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:41 pm

Hello Kissy and welcome to the site. Please read the first thread on rules for posting.
I agree with Roy and wonder if you actually have an active c diff infection. You would usually have multiple episodes of watery d daily for several days and not just 1 x/day after taking a pill for a single day. If that is the case, as Roy has said, it sounds as though your body is fighting off any infection which is what is supposed to happen.

I would talk to the dr and ask how to proceed at this point.

Kissy
Brand New Poster

Postby Kissy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:56 pm

Thank you. Before I took the first couple doses of flagyl I was having issues of going about 5 times a day for a few days they were mixed with B and M and it was mostly just M.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”