How to tell the difference between antibiotic associated D and C Diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
NoPeace
Brand New Poster

How to tell the difference between antibiotic associated D and C Diff?

Postby NoPeace » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:52 pm

I'm a 35 year old female. I came down with a bad case of mastitis and was put on dicloxacillin. Is this a known offender? It's a narrow spectrum if that makes any difference. About 8 pills into a 10 day course, I noticed they were making me dizzy and giving me severe heartburn. So I just stopped taking them. Thankfully my infection went away by itself without further meds.

Everything was fine for 3 days, but today I woke up feeling weak and just not right, and have had D with a very rumbly stomach. What do I need to watch for as far as C Diff? Does antibiotic associated diarrhea usually happen days after stopping the antibiotic? I'm panicking because 2 years ago I watched a coworker nearly die from C Diff. Is there a certain smell I need to look out for? Any info I can use to differentiate the two? Thank you.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Re: How to tell the difference between antibiotic associated D and C Diff?

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:55 pm

Hello NoPeace - Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro. etc.

I am not sure of the risk factor for c-diff from dicloxacillin, as I'm not familiar with that med. All antibiotics can put you at risk for c-diff, but some are less risky than others. I would think that a narrow spectrum antibiotic would be least likely, but I guess that's a question for your doctor. I'm glad that your mastitis went away at least. You can get c-diff even months after taking an antibiotic. The most common signs of c-diff is profuse watery D with the urgency to go. I went at least 20 times in a day when I had it. You have a ton of rumbling in your belly and feel very sickly. Most have nausea and chills, and some run fevers and have blood and mucus. The main difference between c-diff and antibiotic associated D is that usually once you stop the antibiotics, the D subsides and you gradually feel better. With c-diff, the D is usually relentless and will get worse if untreated. Most people do say that they have a barnyard odor smell with c-diff, but odor can be misleading as you can have foul odor with any gut infection or bacterial inbalance in your gut. If you haven't started to take probiotics, I would recommend doing so in order to replenish the good gut bacteria in your gut that has been killed off by the antibiotic. If things start to get worse, you can submit a stool test that will check for the c-diff infection. Hopefully, your symptoms will start to resolve and you don't have to worry about c-diff.

Hope this helps,
Lisa

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:25 pm

Hello NoPeace

Many antibiotics cause diarrhea. I would watch closely and if it were continue, see a physician. There is no way to tell although some have a certain smell with CDIFF. I did not. I also did not have a lot of diarrhea, may 3-4 times in the am only. Everyone is different

Hopefully you will improve, feel better soon!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:26 am

As Lisa said , usually the antibiotic associated D happens while your are on the course of meds and subsides after you come off of it. If you are having D that doesn't show signs of subsiding you should definitely call your physician and ask to be tested for Cdiff. Even though you have taken a low offender there is a possibility that you end up with Cdiff from it , no antibiotic is 100% safe is just that some are safer then others.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:25 am

First of all, it would be very unusual for a young otherwise healthy person to die of c diff so stop worrying. You are on top of this so nothing will happen to you no matter what.
Many people fight off c diff on their own even when they do get it just by stopping the medication, if in fact that is what they have.
More than likely as the others have said, if it is c diff and requires treatment, you will have profuse watery d, be in the bathroom relentlessly and feel very ill. In that case, your dr will test you and if c diff is confirmed treat you based on test and symptoms. Otherwise you do not need to be tested and/or treated because it is not c diff or your body is healing itself. Stopping the medication may do the trick as long as the mastitis does not need treatment. Antibiotic d is usually not as severe but it can be hard to tell the difference especially at the beginning.

And as Lisa said, I would add a probiotic.
Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”