Vancomycin Day 9

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jdoo
New User

Vancomycin Day 9

Postby jdoo » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:39 pm

Am on day 9 of Vancomycin Oral (125mg 4 times a day for 14 days) Previously on Flagyl 500mg four times a day that didn't work. I am still having diarrhea, not as much and not as frequent. However, I have almost constant stomach gurgling that is driving me crazy. Have a GI appointment on Tuesday. Is this normal? Any thoughts?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vancomycin Day 9

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:59 pm

It's good to follow up with your GI. On day 9 you should see some improvement and it sounds like you have. Everyone is different, it depends o how much D you were having. As far as the stomach symptoms, I had them throughout my treatment of CDIFF.

In a few days when you see your GI, he can advise. If he feels it's not working for you, I would ask about Dificid.

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Some posters would have D all throughout treatment and would be "cured" or test negative afterwards. I never had D with vanco and dificid and relapsed over and over until 2 FMTs.
Personally, I don't see how having D during treatment is any indication of if it is working or not.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:27 am

I don't say this very often but Zappers post is 100% inaccurate.
If symptoms don't resolve or substantially improve within 7 days of starting meds you must get a Drs advice.
Normaly they increase the medication dose.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:53 am

I do apologize.. my only advice was just reflecting on my own personal experience. You always do want to follow up with your GI or ID.
I was only saying that throughout my entire c diff treatment I never had the classic symptoms and when I did, it was after the last treatment and I continued to test negative.
This infection is scary. It affects many of us very differently. All I can do is share my experience in hopes it helps. But yes, please do always follow up and check in with your doctor!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 21, 2017 12:57 am

By day 7 you should have seen significant improvement , symptoms should have been controlled , stools should've started to get some consistency. If the only improvement you've seen was a lower frequency I would say that is not enough , and it may be a good idea to get your dosage revised. Also, are you watching your diet?

jdoo
New User

Postby jdoo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:05 pm

Finished the vancomycin on Sunday and had loose stools on Monday and Tuesday morning, then the watery diarrhea started again. Doctor has me back on vancomycin and I have an appointment with an ID doctor on the 4th. Stool sample submitted prior to restarting the vancomycin. Ugh.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:19 pm

If you have just finished the Vanco the test won't be accurate. It's good you are seeing an ID. Most Gi's and ID's do not test. Over 10 months and mine never tested. They went by symptoms although I went up to 3 weeks with no D and then relapse several times so it was clear it was back.

When it's this close since you are off medication, it's very difficult to tell with one or two days of D.

Hope the ID appt goes well and if he feels this is a relapse I would request Dificid.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”