Vanco success stories?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ae123
New User

Vanco success stories?

Postby Ae123 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:36 pm

Just diagnosed with cdiff, scared to death. Pushed my doctors fill in (my actual doctor is out of office until September 18th) to prescribe Vancomycin. Is there anyone on here that was cured using Vanco? I'm just really down right now, and feeling hopeless.

I also currently have a large kidney stone partially obstructing my kidney/upper ureter that I'm having lithotripsy on next Tuesday. I'm so fearful I'm going to get another kidney infection from it before then and will be on more antibiotics. I feel like this vicious cycle is never ending.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Vanco success stories?

Postby NanciT » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:28 pm

There are many on the site that have done very well on Vanco. The best way is to do a pulse/taper. Make sure to talk with your GI about it

Good luck with the Kidney stone, hopefully it won't require an antibiotic

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:29 am

There are several people on this site that were cured with one course of Vanco , our moderator Lisa33 is one of them.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:28 am

I was cured by a single course of 10 days of vanco after flagyl failed.

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 8:15 am

Any recommendations on probiotics and how often to take them with the Vanco? I'm taking florastor twice a day and a culturelle, along with a multi strain by Renew Life once a day

iamsick
Long Time Contributor

Postby iamsick » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:13 am

Worked for me, 10 day course, 250mg 4 times a day. I took 2 Align a day during treatment continued for several months and now continue to take 1 a day. Been cdiff symptom free now 2.5 years. Also drank Kefir during treatment and continue that today too.
Teresa_68

Mimi2020
Brand New Poster

Postby Mimi2020 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:17 pm

I contracted C-Diff after taking Clindamycin prescribed by my dentist for a tooth infection. Got put on Flagyl for 14 days, C-Diff came back 4 days after testing negative and was put on Vanco for a month. Tested positive again after treatment and was put on Vancouver again but for two months, with the gradual taper. Ended the treatment October 1st 2016, and symptoms receded to 3 or 4 BM a day, they wouldn't retest on firm stool. Since then I have had bouts of D (1-2 a day) and my microbiologist doesn't want me to retest unles I get 3 or more D a day. That hasn't happened, although I have PI IBS ( according to my GI). So I guess you could say the tapering of Vanco. worked, although I remain terrified every morning when I have a BM... C-Diff has also made me terribly germophobic, to the point where I have been seeing a psychologist and and ergotherapist to help me get over my fear of relapsing.I live in Montreal Canada.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:45 pm

Hello mimi20 Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like Vanco has worked for you and many of us are left with Post IBS and that terrible fear it will come back. It also sounds like you are doing all the right things and getting therapy will help with the emotional side of this illness.

I hope you feel better soon, alot of this takes time. Especially the germ issues and cleaning.

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:49 pm

Mimi, I too was cured by a single course of vanco after taking Flagyl. I was left with PI IBS for many years but have been c diff free for almost 4 years now. I had a rocky recovery and I still have the same fears as everyone else here, and have not taken antibiotics since then.

Btw, I also got c diff from clindamycin. And seeing a therapist is a smart move. Do whatever is necessary to help you deal with your anxiety. This illness is notoriously anxiety provoking.
Rita

kmr92
New User

Postby kmr92 » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:09 pm

I was cured with one round of Vanco. Six months later, I am still left with some post infectious IBS like many others here. Good luck to you

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:32 am

Sorry just reading this now - I was cured by one 14 day course of vanco after Flagyl failed. There are posters who were cured by vanco. If you can skip over the Flagyl and go right to the vanco, I highly recommend it. Flagyl made me so sick. It was awful to tolerate, and it didn't cure me. I did very well on vanco. I strongly recommend probiotics as well. I took 2 VSL-3s daily with the active c-diff infection, spaced apart from meds. Florastor is also highly recommended which I took in recovery, and still take 3 years later daily. I also ate yogurts with live cultures daily and drank Kefir. I was able to tolerate that intake of probiotics, but others cannot, so you have to see what you are able to handle. But, I do feel that the probiotics aided in my recovery from c-diff.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:36 am

Also to add, I too was left with post infectious IBS. It got better over time, but I still have bouts of it every now and then. The difference is that being this far out from c-diff (3 years), I don't panic anymore. I've accepted that it happens, eat bland for a while and then all is well. Not everybody gets it, but don't get worried if things don't go back to normal right away. There are usually bad days in early recovery, and they can sometimes mimic a relapse. Many of us used the "3 day rule". See CDI-All you need to know. If you are going watery D more than 3 times per day for 3 days in a row, with the urgency to go, then it may be time to revisit the doctor.

Ae123
New User

Postby Ae123 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:25 pm

Thanks Lisa33! I'm currently taking Saccharomyces Boulardii + MOS, Renew Life Colon Health probiotic, Culturelle, and drinking a probiotic water with Bacillus Coagulans in it.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:55 pm

It sounds like you are doing all that you can do to prevent a recurrence and restore your good gut bacteria. I am wishing you well and hopefully you can say bye-bye to c-diff once and for all! :-)

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:19 am

Be careful on the amount of probiotic you are taking , sometimes too much probiotic can give symptoms similar to a relapse.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”