Unsure. C diff?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Ae123
New User

Unsure. C diff?

Postby Ae123 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi, I'm new on here. 28 y/o female. Back in May I was told I have a UTI (first I've ever experienced) and was given cephalexin. I took it for 3 days, twice a day and developed mucousy diarrhea. It literally looked like snot. This was after the last dose of cephalexin and I was fine afterward. Fast forward to July and the uti must've not cleared completely and I ended up getting a kidney infection. Was in the hospital for 3 days with IV Rocephin, after discharge was put on Ceftin for 14 days, twice a day. It cleared the kidney infection but 3 days after my last dose I ended up with explosive diarrhea and vomiting. I only had diarrhea once or twice a day, and vomiting once or twice a day with no appetite and nausea on and off. Also had dehydration (lost 7 pounds from water loss) and a temp around 99.5. Went to the ER and they gave me a prescription for Flagyl because they suspected cdiff. They also gave me zofran for nausea. They gave me a cup to take home to collect a stool sample but I had been constipated from the Zofran and couldn't produce one. I had still been vomiting though. After 4 days of Flagyl I started to feel better and when I was finally able to go to the bathroom the stools were flaky and soft but no diarrhea. After an appointment with my family doctor he told me to stop the Flagyl as he didn't think it was cdiff and was probably gastritis. After a few days I felt like I was back to my normal self. Still having somewhat flaky soft stools twice in the mornings but no diarrhea. Fast forward two weeks later and the nausea is back with 2-3 bowel movements in the morning, no diarrhea but each time the color is different and so is consistency. It starts with normal brown stools then will become soft flake like stools. No vomiting so far. A lot of belching, gas, and slight cramps. So far temp hasn't been over 99. (I usually run between 98-99). I generally feel drained and fatigued. Wondering if I should contact my doctor as they won't test my stool since it's somewhat formed. Also my doctor won't prescribe any medications without a test determining. He does not go by symptoms alone. :(

Does this sound like mild cdiff to anyone that has experienced something similar? I'm taking two types of probiotics. I'm just worried that if it is my body won't fight it off alone and that it will start to get worse.

Julian80
New User

Re: Unsure. C diff?

Postby Julian80 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:56 pm

Hi Ae
Hello well your case sound like mine even tho its been going on for a while now.One of the mods should be along shortly with the official welcome.First of all cdiff should be considered especially after the antibiotics.There have been cases who got well on their own but unfortunately some others don't.Most cases usually need 1 or 2 rounds of meds or a taper/pulse regimen.There are a lot more tools to help with this disease now more than ever,so thats a plus.Its ok to be nervous or scared at first,especially if you googled it,what I did and just made my anxiety worse.You have come to the right place for support there are many veterans here who know how to deal with this and Im sure theyll be along shortly for advice,I would take the probiotics right now,the doc was smart about stopping the flagyl,yours may be mild and might go away however be mindful of the symptoms and be ready to fight:).Everybody here knows what youre going through,it starts out rough and scary but we cant let that fear keep us down,A sad soul can kill faster than any germ.Your in my prayers,its gonna be ok...

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Unsure. C diff?

Postby NanciT » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello AE123 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

If you are not currently seeing a GI, I would recommend you see one. It's possible after one round of treatment CDIFF can be cleared but you were never tested. You can really know what you are dealing with so I would either ask the primary for a referral because you have continued to have symptoms or if possible find a GI yourself.

We see this often where people are treated and we don't have an actual test or diagnosis. If symptoms continue an evaluation is necessary.

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”