Relapse after 3 months?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Relapse after 3 months?

Postby Zapper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:21 pm

Is it possible to relapse after 3 months post FMT? I haven't had the classic watery diarrhea (but frankly I never did). But for the past 2 days mucus and soft bms. It also smells weird... not my normal bms. Made worse if I eat or drink ANYTHING... even just water.
I don't want to retest if unnecessary as I just retested back in July and it was negative.
I just can't believe that I am still going thru this.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Relapse after 3 months?

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:20 pm

It's possible, but unlikely. Many have IBS flares after c diff and even after FMT. If it continues, test for peace of mind, but hopefully it is something you ate that did not agree.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:27 pm

That's why I haven't asked my GI to test. I'm hoping it was something I ate... but I only ate plain white rice.. boiled chicken.. and potato bread no butter.
All foods that have been 100% ok since the beginning.

I just don't understand. I've worried myself absolutely ill.
I hope tomorrow is better.

cody1
Regular User

Postby cody1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:07 pm

Have you been under a lot of stress lately? Stress and anxiety can be an IBS trigger.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:11 pm

I have. I have a 10 month old son.. I'm perpetually exhausted and stressed. Haha...

I am really trying to calm down but it's hard to. I don't have the urgency now but still using the restroom more often than usual. TMI no stool only mucus very similar to my c diff relapses.
However, I recently tested negative after a full day of mucus in July.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:09 am

It could be something you ate at the wedding you attended. Sometimes things that don't sit well may not give you symptoms straight away ,they can trigger IBS after a day or two , but for a peace of mind you can get tested.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:09 am

Georgina, didn't eat at the wedding since I was already showing symptoms. The 2 days before the wedding I ate only bland (chicken rice and toast) to try to ensure I would be well for the wedding.
Which makes me hope it is stress related.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 2:17 am

Maybe it would ease your worry if you tested. If it is negative, then you can look for other causes, such as IBS or SIBO.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:33 am

I guess I just want to know if I'm alone in this...
does anyone else have issues with mucus incontinence with PI-IBS?
I don't know at this point if I should request more treatment as my quality of life is pretty low. My energy is way down again.. not sleeping cause I'm stressed..

I would really appreciate if someone has gone thru this to shed some light on how to get thru it or how to learn to be happy eating boiled chicken everyday??

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:49 am

I agree with Beth, at this point I would test and if negative try to determine the cause (IBS, SIBO, microscopic colitis, etc.). Have had some issues with mucus post-c.diff but could relate it to food (usually something spicy or too dairy heavy) and learned that I can no longer tolerate Aleve after this infection but the mucus issues would dissipate with a bland diet.

~Lauren

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am

Hi, sounds to me like you should test if you are still not ok. If nothing else to alleviate your worry. A few weeks ago I had D for a few days. So I called the RN consultant at the GI clinic where I had my FMT done to talk about at what point I should test. Turned out I didn't have to... but I told her - you've just got to understand for people like me I have Extreme fear when I have D. I probably always will. I was traumatized and I can't help it. She told me she understood. The anxiety is unbearable. ... I wanted to tell you a contributing factor to IBS is hormones. I don't normally think about this due to being past childbearing age, but if you take birth control pills they will aggravate IBS.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:24 pm

One of our former moderators had the issues with M and she was told to take a fiber supplement and it helped her
I think she took metamucil. But, some people don't tolerate fiber supplements. I am one of them. Beefier is supposed to be gentler.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:14 am

I have been very bland for a few days now to try to return to "normal" and now waking at 1am with urgency and lots of gas and M but also nausea.
I am just feeling completely exhausted. I got my prescription for the Levsin but maybe just not enough time to kick in?
I don't understand why this isn't turning around.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:29 am

You say very bland for a few days, most posters would agree that they had to eat very bland for many weeks or months while their gut healed!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:34 am

The "very bland" has been just trying to rebound from whatever happened about a week ago.
I have had plain toast (white bread), rice, baked potato, pretzels in small amounts, and chicken. Only water to drink. Still currently up and in a lot of pain. Seems like gas pains since they are very sharp (make you bend over) but then pass thru. I am taking levsin and also the max pepto daily and 1-2 Imodium a day.
If that helps for more info now that I am more awake to explain.

I guess I am frustrated since I work full time and barely get 6-7 hours of sleep anyway because of my son (not a good sleeper). So being up for 1-3 hours with mucus/gas is exhausting.

I would understand if I was eating high offender foods. I am eating bland.. gluten free.. dairy free.. nut free.. no veggies anymore.. only fruit banana and blueberries on occasion. I almost rather starve at this point.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”