Alcohol and c diff recovery?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Zapper
Regular Contributor

Alcohol and c diff recovery?

Postby Zapper » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:27 am

I have been sober for 22 months (throughout my c diff experience, pregnancy, and c diff recovery).
I am going to a wedding tomorrow and would like to have a drink but scared. I am still having PI-IBS and food intolerances.

When did you have an alcoholic beverage and what happened? Any pain or urgency afterwards? And if so, was it immediately or did it take a day to kick in?
I would just like to have 1. But I also don't want to spend the rest of the night running to the bathroom !

Help!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Alcohol and c diff recovery?

Postby NanciT » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:55 am

I can only share my experience although I do recall on the site once recovered other posters have slowly added alcohol. I have tried several times in the last 3 years. I never had much alcohol other than a Pina Colada or glass of wine once in awhile PRE CDIFF.

I am still having issues with even a 1/2 glass of wine but it has made me nauseated.

I am sure others will jump in here! You may want to check alcohol in the search bar

NanciT

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:21 am

I have wondered about this also. I am six months post successful FMT and have PI-IBS. Some days I am perfectly fine, and randomly I have IBS symptoms that I have given up trying to determine the cause. ...concerning drinking alcohol, I love red wine. I had two glasses on New Year's Eve. Other than that I have had no alcohol since August of 2016 when my C Diff first started post Clindamycin from dentist. I don't know if I would care if it caused some GI upset, since it seems I am doomed to experience this anyways. Alcohol is a potential irritant I know. But I worry it would mess up my fragile newly reestablished microbiome that is keeping C Diff in check. I have never been clear in this. If anyone has any info on whether or not alcohol can disrupt or damage the gut microbiome and cause C Diff recurrence or any reference links about this, I would really appreciate you sharing. ... Zapper I think you deserve at least two drinks after all you have been through!

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:42 am

I've searched the forums and mostly all I can find is "don't drink alcohol". I ended up not drinking anyway. Out of nowhere today I had a bad afternoon with urgency mucus etc without even eating for over 24 hours.
I'm guessing it's stress.

I'm just sad. I can't even get thru the bland diet still without issues. Now that my insurance is active I need to see a doc asap.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:06 am

I have recently went to a wedding party where I had 2 glasses of champagne. After the second glass I've noticed a bit of discomfort in the left side of the abdomen , like a mild cramp and I got scared but it eventually subsided and I was fine the rest of the evening and also the second day.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:34 am

I am 8 months post c.diff and (reasonable) amounts of alcohol are not an issue for me at all despite still dealing with PI-IBS. I slowly reintroduced alcohol and for quite some time the only thing I could tolerate was a glass or two of red wine as beer would cause issues and I don't generally drink hard liquor. Now, I can have wine, beer, or mixed drinks without any issue (though beer does usually result in increased gas but nothing over the top).

One glass should be fine but might be better to try a glass prior to the social event to see how it's tolerated so if it's an issue you'll be at home versus surrounded by people.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:56 pm

Yeah I am going to hold off again for a while. I am still dealing with M and D. It's now been 24 hours of active symptoms. It doesn't seem like c diff but I also took 6 Imodiums and 5 pepto tabs yesterday to keep it together for the wedding. I haven't eaten since 3pm yesterday and terrified of eating again. I'll start with plain toast again...

I just don't get it. Maybe I do need an antispasmodic and IG infusions.

MKW
Regular Contributor

Postby MKW » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:04 pm

Zapper, you really should try Levsin. It dissolves under the tongue and works quick. I would think since this is a very commonly prescribed drug for IBS, and not a controlled substance or psychoactive medication that your PCP would willingly prescribe it if you request it. it's something you can use as needed too and don't have to stay on. The only thing I've noticed with it is some rebound anxiety... but I am very anxiety prone. It makes me a little drowsy so when it wears off I feel kind of anxious. The GI doc I saw recently says she typically gives questran and Levsin to ibs-d patients. I'm not having excessive D so have only tried the Levsin.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:18 pm

I called my doc and waiting for the response to see if he will prescribe without yet another follow up visit....

overit
Regular User

Postby overit » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:07 pm

My doctor said I was free to try alcohol when I felt up to it. I started drinking wine a few months after my FMT. I've been able to tolerate it well. In fact I've had no reaction to wine but have had reactions to vegetables and fruit. You just never know what cdif recovery will bring on any given day!

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:10 pm

I could tolerate wine years before I could eat salad! I waited almost a year to drink just out of fear, but then had no problem at 1 1/2 glass for sure, sometimes 2 glasses were ok, then it was unpredictable, but it was never a problem until the next morning so I could be home and use Imodium if necessary.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:37 pm

I am the same , never had a problem with 1-2 glasses of wine/champagne/beer but if I drink more then 2 my gut starts to react.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”