Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:25 pm

Glad the Dificid seems to be agreeing with you. I am thinking of taking it myself, but haven't decided what to do yet. Some people do not get any side effects from it. Were you constipated before or is the Dificid just doing its job by firming up the stool?

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Postby Machaon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:07 pm

Not really constipated. Since I started Dificid, I've changed to one semi-soft potty per day from several times per day. Definitely something different and more peaceful going on down there. My whole body feels better and calmer. Psychological effect or actual?

What are you taking currently for your C-diff?

I wish you success and a cure with your decision!
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:17 pm

Machaon, I also live in FL checking the forecast every few hours! I am out of town due to fly home Saturday and will decide tomorrow whether to come home early!!! Good luck to us. Just make sure you stock up on TP, fluids, etc. just in case.

On another note, I would forego the roughage in your diet for a while. Based on experiences of the majority, these cause food intolerances and if they begin to disturb your gut as they do to so many of us, you won't know if it is the foods or failure of the Difficid. Why risk the confusion? Stick with safe foods for a while- a blander diet and you can always add things back later when you feel that the Difficid has (hopefully) worked.

Just a thought and what I would do.
Rita

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:32 pm

Hi Rita!

We're projected to get hit Sunday down here in South Florida. We live in a mobile home, so we are really nervous!

We figure we can wait until Friday to put up shutters, but that decision can change. Going out tomorrow for water and salad supplies. I have Insulin Resistance and autoimmune combined with heart failure, so my diet is not of my choosing.

Good luck with Irma and your decision regarding Saturday!

Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 pm

Not sure what happened to my post, but here goes again. I am not treating the c diff presently because it is considered low grade. I have a positive PCR, but negative EIA since last year after taking antibiotics in the hospital which made me test positive after a few years of negative tests. In the past I treated with vanco, did not do well on it, continued to relapse and had more than one FMT to get symptoms half way under control. I have been managing, but about 2 months ago, symptoms got worse. I have an auto immune disease too, if not more than one, which doesn't help.

The problem is that doctors can't seem to agree on treatment. One says to take Dificid or Xifaxan and do FMT via colonoscopy. The doctor who does FMT said only the FMT and no antibiotic. My regular GI ran a panel for IBD and said to take Pepto. So, I am more than a little frustrated at this point. It all started for me in 2008.

It sounds as if you are responding well to the medication and hopefully this will be the cure for you. Keep us posted and good luck with the hurricane.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:16 am

Beth, thanks for the reply.

I can see why you are frustrated! My goodness! You have been through quite a lot and are still struggling with a variation of C-diff. I did not know that there were different levels of C-diff. I thought that, once you get it, you get the full, nasty, debilitating symptoms. I was fatigued, very weak, swollen legs feet, painful ankles, felt very ill and, of course, the potty nasties!

Are there any probiotics that you can take? Do you have any good days?

Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:41 pm

I do take probiotics - VSL#3 and I just got a box of EnteraGam that is supposed to help the gut immunity and bind up toxins. I was doing better, but then the last few months that changed. I don't really have good days, but I have days where I manage. I have SIBO too and that is very hard to get rid of. Hopefully, someone can figure out something soon. It is wearing me down and I teach high school and school is now in session. The hardest part has been to give up the foods that I loved to eat - salads, fruit, dairy. If I eat them, I get colitis and lots of trips to the bathroom. Not worth it.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:06 pm

10 days of dificid ended Tuesday September 12th. Potty experiences improved over the 10 days, so I guess the dificid wasn't unstable. We were without power until yesterday and it was HOT! Hurricane Irma was no fun!

Now 3 days post dificid. Somewhat constipated but firm. A little gut gurgling but able to eat very large salads, and anything else I can stuff into face!

Hoping that I don't get blind-sided by C-diff and start getting worse with a 4th relapse! So far, things are looking good. However, fear rules the days!!
Male 77 S.Florida

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:14 pm

Great news, and glad the power is back on too!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:08 am

Good news indeed. I was worried about you there in Florida and sent you a pm. Don't know if you got it, but glad you are safe.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:18 am

Good to hear you are doing well Machaon , however you need to be carefull with your diet , you can end up having bad IBS flares, your gut is still sensitive and needs more time to heal.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:13 am

So glad you are safe and the power is back on! Remember, it will take time for things to get to a "new normal" and the diet should be considered. When I change mine up even now 3 years later, often times I have issues. The Post IBS returns, although most of the time it's gone now! Diet can change that.
Wishing you the best!

NanciT

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 16, 2017 2:24 pm

Amyc;Beth22: Thanks for the concern about my having to deal with Hurricane Irma. I think that my anxiety, when Irma, as a cat 5, was forecasted to strike South East Florida, was almost as high as my anxiety over a C-diff relapse. What a one-two punch, to the gut, that could have been!

Beth22, I did get your PM. I didn't notice that I had a PM. Gotta start looking at the top of the screen more often!

Georgina,NanciT: Thanks for the well wishes. I am still eating large salads, with romaine, cucs, squash, broccoli, mushrooms, cheese and egg. They seem acceptable to my 73 year old gut. No IBS. Fairly decent potties, so far. An increase in gurgling. If my gut starts getting fickle, I will certainly respond appropriately.

I am into day 4, post dificid. Getting some ankle swelling. Until my C-diff was under control, my ankles, feet and legs were badly and painfully swollen. I am hoping that the current swelling is not related to C-diff!

My security fence was knocked down and damaged; and some skirting blown away. Got lucky this time! Really thankful!

Thanks for the responses, best of luck and health to all!
Male 77 S.Florida

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:21 pm

Gurgling IS a main indication of IBS, along with a lot of other tummy upset symptoms.
Watch that diet!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:54 am

Hi Roy!

If I suffer from IBS and gurgling is my only symptom, I can live with that as long as I can eat my salads and veggies. The last time I suffered from IBS-C, it lasted three days and was very painful. It caused my stomach to pop up painfully in many places. It was a result of carelessness while putting down yard pesticide.

Now into day 5 POST DIFICID! Still doing well, without any signs of D or C-diff. Feeling pretty good, salads and all. Am I past the point of relapse?

Regarding my diet: If it ain't broke don't fix it. I enjoy it. I can do it with minimal digestive problems. So... what's not to like!?

Roy, I have a high regard and respect for your knowledge and opinion, even though we disagree on some issues.

Bob
Male 77 S.Florida

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”