Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Machaon
Regular Contributor

Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I am going to start 10 days of Dificid tomorrow, Sunday, Sept 3rd. Today's my last day of vanco. I plan to take probiotics including 1000 mg of Saccharomyces boulardii.

Buts... the directions say to store dificid at temps of 20-25°C (68-77°F)! I live in South Florida and won't be able to follow the storage requirements. Does that mean that the expensive and urgently needed dificid will gradually deteriorate over time?

I've researched dificid stability and dificid storage requirements and have found nothing to indicate that dificid is relatively unstable. It seems that dificid will survive quite well outside of those stringent storage requirements.

Why would Merck require storage of 20-25°C (68-77°F) if it weren't necessary for the stability of dificid? And... the label says that it can be stored for a short period of time at 15-30°C (59-86°F). Short period of time?! If dificid is unstable and Merck knows about test results not made public then Merck should warn the consumer and C-diff patients of this very important problem!

Dificid... It's GOT TO WORK!
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

roy
Administrator

Re: Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Postby roy » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:43 pm

It has a shelf life of 3 years and has no special storage conditions.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Just got my 10 supply of Dificid. Is Dificid unstable if stored in temps outside of 20-25°C (68-77°F)?

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Roy, thanks for the reply!

Why does Merck put such specific storage requirements in their instructions and on the Dificid container if it isn't important for the stability of Dificid?

Why would they deliberately mislead C-diff patients?
Male 77 S.Florida

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:01 pm

Maybe those storage instructions are for warehouses and pharmacies? You're not actually storing it, you're USING it in a short time frame. Good luck machaon -- I hope Dificid works for you as well as it did for my daughter.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:12 pm

I agree with AMG the storage instructions are intended for distributors. Otherwise it would be clearly labeled with special instructions on the bottle. I was on Dificid for 3 months, there were no special instructions.

If you have concerns, you can always call the pharmacist.

Wishing you the best with this!

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:19 pm

I got a bottle last year to take on vacation, which I did and also took it on a road trip on some hot days in the car this year. I assume it is ok as the bottle is still sealed and mine does not expire until 2019, so Roy is right about 3 year shelf life. You will be using it up in 10 days. I doubt it would go bad in such a short time. Keep it in a cooler room. We have had temps in the 100s all week, but I doubt your house would get that hot. If I decide to take it, I'm going to use the one I have. If the medication had to be refrigerated, that is different. Call the pharmacy and ask. They should know and probably would get special instructions from the manufacturer if there were any.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks everyone for the input!

I got home from the pharmacy with my precious bottle of Dificid. I wanted to know if I should store it in the refrigerator. I was shocked to read the restrictive storage instructions on the container and in the instructions inside the box.

If the restrictive storage instructions are not followed by ALL parties, how does that effect the Dificid? I know the temp at the pharmacy is above 77.

There are C-diff sufferers who relapsed after Dificid. Is that because someone along the chain didn't follow the storage requirements? If they found out that they relapsed because the Dificid had been degraded, Merck could claim that they didn't follow storage instructions!

And... Why would the pharmacy and/or the warehouse have storage requirements but not the user?

I've got heart medications and insulin medications and asthma medication and probiotics that all have storage requirements on the containers. Are these instructions to the patient or the pharmacy/warehouse?

My confidence in Dificid has been shaken!

Do you recommend that patients ignore the storage instructions in the package insert?

Thanks again for your replies! Bob.
Male 77 S.Florida

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 7:44 pm

No, don't ignore them, just do the best you can. Try calling the manufacturer. They might have someone who can answer your concerns. It will be Tuesday before you can call, but worth a try.

midway
New User

Postby midway » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:07 pm

I never used Dificid, but I would imagine that if your symptoms resolve (as it does for most people) while on the medication, the antibiotic is likely working as intended. If your symptoms go away, the antibiotic has killed the offending bacteria to cut off the troublesome toxins. As we all know, C diff recurs so frequently due to the spores that are unaffected by the antibiotic. People who relapse after Dificid probably just had a harder time reestablishing adequate flora in their gut.

*written by a non-biologist*

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:30 pm

Regardless of probabilities, we all know of C-diff patients who have not done well on Dificid. I wanted to have the best chance for Dificid to cure me of this horrible infection. So... What did I do? I read the instructions!

I hope that my Dificid is still at full strength!

Not to be remiss... Thanks for all the well wishes! There are still good people in this world!
Male 77 S.Florida

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:51 pm

Hi...to get out of the hospital when I had C-Diff/Diverticulitus I had to have Dificid to go home to. If not, I couldn't leave. I worked with a wonderful supplier in California who shipped it to me in WA state, rush. I normally would've had to wait as all they had in stock was 1 package that expired at the end of the month I was receiving it. I needed it mid-April, it expired end of April/17. The pharmacist said they would not normally have sent it but since It would be just before expiration when I finished it should be fine. It made me nervous but it worked perfectly. I've been told the potency goes down the closer to the med expiration date; it didn't. I guess I'm just saying, try and relax, I'm sure your order has been handled correctly.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:52 am

Sophie, thanks for the reply and words of encouragement. I am glad that the Dificid worked for you! Each individual story of success gives me hope.

I am relaxed, so to speak, but anxious and uncertain of success for myself.

On a side note: I live in South Florida and have dark visions of sitting here, without electric, baking in 100° heat, as a result of Hurricane Irma, while suffering from nasty, debilitating C-diff symptoms as a result of Dificid not working! Those dark visions are only in the back of my mind as my current activities and plans are concentrated on preparing for Irma and hoping it misses us. Gots to figure out when, and if, to put up storm shutters!

In the meantime. This is day two of Dificid! It makes me a little spacey but other than that, no side effects! Nice! Constipation and gas but no discomfort. Still able to eat three very large salads per day and veggies.

Only nine days to go to be cured of C-diff?
Male 77 S.Florida

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:39 am

Hi..i'm glad you've started on the med. I lived in Daytona Beach before moving to WA state so I understand your concern. Do you have a small generator just in case you lose power or the ability to stay with someone who does??? Hopefully Irma just passes by. Your eating salads??? Beware that eating raw fruits/vegetables with and after C-Diff is a risky thing to do. They are the hardest thing to deigest. If you have stomace pain/D in the next couple days don't blame the med, blame what you are eating. You should be eating bland/easy to digest foods. Read other's posts, you don't want to mess around.. Good luck

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:47 am

Sorry..one more note...you are not immediately cured after the 10 days. It is after you finished the med that is starts doing it's work. How long have you hd c-diff? Everyone is different but healing can take weeks to months or longer.

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Sophie, thanks for the reply and the advice!

I've eaten very large salads with romaine, cucs, tomatoes, squash and mushrooms for a long, long time. I also eat four extra large eggs per day and a microwaved bowl of broccoli, green beans and peas. I stopped the salads and veggies when my C-diff was really bad. Of course, during those two months, I ate very little.

It puzzles me that most C-diff sufferers can't eat salads and I can. I can't figure out why, but I will enjoy it while I can.

I started having C-diff symptoms April 18, 2017. Thought it was IBS-D. It kept getting worse. Diagnosed positive for Clostridium difficile Toxin A and or B on May 10, 2017. Suffered badly through 14 days of Flagyl until June 7, 2017 when I started taking Vanco and started getting better. Then... relapsed!

I just do not want to see any signs of C-diff after 10 days of Dificid!

We don't have a generator. Thought of getting a propane generator, but it's too late.

We are stocking up on ice and water and fiber bars. We've got a ton of personal fans that run on D batteries. We've been through this before, although we are quite a bit older now. Need to get lucky and have Irma and C-diff pass us by!
Male 77 S.Florida

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”