New-general questions

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Bagel
Brand New Poster

New-general questions

Postby Bagel » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:27 am

Hello I'm new here and just had some general questions. I recently took several antibiotics for recurrent strep and a wisdom tooth procedure. The last one I took was clindamycin. I was concerned about c diff and was going to take a stool sample into my pcp but then I saw some clear blood and mucus in diarrhea yesterday and went to the ER instead. I should mention that this occurred after I had already collected a formed stool sample, not knowing that c diff needs a sample of diarrhea. The ER was unable to make a conclusive diagnosis because of this so his educated guess based on symptoms, clinda, and a confirmed presence of blood was c diff or colitis. He's going to test the sample I brought for other bacteria. I'm going to follow up with my gastro but I spoke to her on the phone. I was given the flagyl for suspected c diff and cipro for colitis. I have a heart condition too and am unable to actually take cipro unless truly necessary but my gastro and cardiologist said I could start with the flagyl. I guess my question would be is it vital to have a confirmed diagnosis before starting meds and just general foods to avoid or any tips on taking the flagyl or just any non medical advice from experience. I plan to follow up and currently have some stomach burning and slight nausea and occasional dizziness but nothing major. Hopefully not tmi but it's currently my cycle so some of these symptoms may be attributed to that or just effects from clinda and not being totally healthy recently, but generally I've had mild symptoms. I only had diarrhea once but I have not had completely solid stools for several days, but I know that clinda causes general stomach issues as well, not just c diff. It was the presence of blood and mucus that was more alarming. I am just nervous to take yet again another antibiotic after having to take so many this month the issues above and allergic reactions when trying others, and am also very nervous about this diagnosis. I am just overwhelmed and feeling depressed in general. Thank you.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: New-general questions

Postby amg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:12 pm

Oh, you poor thing. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.

Flagyl is a very tough drug to take for many people. My daughter had to take it with food to avoid stomach upset, and in general she felt blah and foggy and headachy on it. In addition, she had two episodes which we think were from using alcohol-based hand sanitizer in which she had symptoms consistent with the bad reaction people get when they drink alcohol while on Flagyl - feeling faint, flushed, light headed, nausea - it was awful and lasted a few hours. So be careful to avoid all types of alcohol - even topical things like hand sanitizer that are alcohol.

Most people here find the BRAT diet helpful when going through c diff. Bananas, rice, apple sauce, toast. Most need to avoid raw veggies and salads, and my daughter had a very limited amount of fruit and cooked veggies she could tolerate - peas, carrots initally.

Some people become dairy-intolerant as well, but everyone is different. And STAY HYDRATED.

C diff DOES CAUSE colitis, so not sure why you were going to be put on Cipro and Flagyl. But those complicated diagnosis and treatment questions are for your doctors. Please discuss with them.

Good luck and I hope you feel better fast.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: New-general questions

Postby NanciT » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:20 pm

Hello Bagel and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

Sorry you had to find us and are dealing with this. Without testing you really can't know what is being treated. I also am not clear why you would be given Cipro and Flagyl. I would ask your primary care to have a consult with a GI if you continue to have issues.

Hope you feel better soon

NanciT

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”