Probiotics/mask cdiff/bright yellow stool

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
gcalaba
Brand New Poster

Probiotics/mask cdiff/bright yellow stool

Postby gcalaba » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:12 am

I am so thankful to find this place. Here's my story: I developed diarrhea on day 4 of a course of amoxicillin, not as severe as many cases by still 4-6 times a day (1-2 loose/water, 3-4 fluffy or floating pieces). Went to dr and she gave my flagyl for c diff to get started before I got my stool test in. I had been on flagyl for c diff 5 years ago and it made me very sick, so I decided that I would wait to fill the script until after I got a + test to be sure. I bought florastor and another probiotic with s.boulardii in it and started that instead. I was never able to get the stool sample in (they will only test wAtery diarrhea here), because After that I only had 1 case of diarrhea, but 8 days later my poop is still bright yellow and I just have the feeling if I stop the probiotics the D will come back. I am unsure what to do? Is this c diff? I never had bright yellow poop before. Should I go pick up the script and treat it? Also, I read about the dangers of omeprazole with c diff and I tried to quit it for a week but my stomach burns and I feel terrible as I have gastritis and hiatus hernia, giving me gerd. I took it yesterday for the first time, and it made my tummy feel so much improved. Can you still beat c diff and remain on these drugs? Thank you for your help in advance. I am a basket case, and I have a 5 year old son to care for and I am worried sick

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Probiotics/mask cdiff/bright yellow stool

Postby beth22 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for more information for new posters.

Apart from the color of the stool, how do you feel? If you feel well and that you are improving, then I would hold off on the Flagyl. Flagyl can even cause a case of c difficile. If you get worse, have D, test for sure. I probably would give it a little time, but I am not a doctor. Call your doctor and tell him or her exactly what you posted here and ask what he or she would advise.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi and another welcome to the site. We cannot give medical advice but I agree with Beth. In the absence of multiple watery stools I would not treat as it can make a low level infection or one that your body is fighting off itself get worse. Sometimes your body can fight off an infection itself. That is part of the reason labs won't test formed stools- to avoid overtreatment. I would call your dr as Beth suggested and at the same time, make an appointment with a GI dr for follow up so you have that ready in case you need it.Stool color alone is not enough to diagnose c diff, nor is test result. The whole clinical picture including symptoms has to be looked at and so far it sounds as though you are improving so you need to discuss all this with a dr who knows about c diff.

Best of luck,
Rita

gcalaba
Brand New Poster

Postby gcalaba » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:15 am

Thank you for your advice. I do not feel great, but certainly better than with the D. I will give it another week and re-evaluate, maybe taper off probiotics and see if D comes back, and if so... test then. Will taking omeprazole alone make c diff worse? I have chronic gastritis and a hiatus hernia and I am in terrible pain and discomfort without it. I am so glad you guys answered me, this website is a blessing. I didn't know your body could fight off mild c diff alone... that gives me hope. Have other people shared that on here?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:59 am

Hi

The Prilosec is a PPI and have been found to make people more susceptible to CDIFF. You can talk with your GI about it. It took me months to get rid of CDIFF and I was on Aciphex ( also a PPI) at the time for the same reason you are. I have a hernia( but that was actually caused from CDIFF, I had extreme vomiting with it) and stayed on the aciphex just until recently. I am 3 years post CDIFF. I have transitioned to a H2 inhibitor Pepcid AC which is less likely to put me a risk. It has been a long transition getting off aciphex. Hopefully you will find our self getting better and may want to talk to your GI about the PPIs vs H2 Inhibitors.

NanciT

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:16 am

Hi gcalaba
It seems that your body it's trying to get rid of Cdiff by itself and the decision you made about not starting Flagyl with those symptoms , in my opinion was a wise decision. Sometimes just stopping the offending antibiotic can do the trick. Keep a close eye on symptoms though , with Cdiff they can go south really fast , if you start having frequent runny stools you can jump on treatment. As for the PPI's , they are linked to Cdiff and , yes they will put you at risk , consider Nanci's suggestion about switching them with a H2 inhibitor.

gcalaba
Brand New Poster

Postby gcalaba » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:43 am

God bless you guys. You don't know me from Adam, but reaching out in the darkness.... I tried to go to Zantac for a week and it was absolutely hell. Burning, stomach pains... Once D cleared up with probiotics I went back to omeprazole. My stomach feels so much better. However I am scared because bright yellow poop tells me infection is probably lurking underneath the fancy footwork of probiotics. You mentioned pepcid... did you find it better than Zantac?thanks so much.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”