Flagyl-is it working

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jdoo
New User

Flagyl-is it working

Postby jdoo » Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:30 pm

I am on my 7th day of Flagyl. My diarrhea has lessened but I am still having 3-4 watery stools per day. Not a large amount usually in the morning and early afternoon. Should I call the doctor or is this normal.

amg
Regular Contributor

Re: Flagyl-is it working

Postby amg » Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Hi there, jdoo. So sorry you're going through c diff.

It's always appropriate to call your doctor with those types of questions, and we don't know how much you've improved on Flagyl - i.e. if you were having 15 bms a day and now down to 3-4, then that is a response. If you were having fever and chills and abdominal pain and those have all resolved, then that is a response to Flagyl as well.

However, it does seem to me that after 7 days, stools should be firming up and no longer be watery. Are you eating a bland and low fiber diet? The BRAT diet is good for this point in treatment. Dietary indiscretions can certainly affect stool consistency.

Anyway, please discuss with your doctor. There are other options like Vanco or Dificid that can treat c diff better than Flagyl, if you need. Good luck and I hope you feel better fast.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:38 am

Welcome to the site jdoo ,sorry you are dealing with Cdiff .
If you have reached day seven and you are still having D , for me is not a good sign , even though the frequency has gone down your stools should have taken some kind of consistency by now . I think that you should pay a visit to your doctor and discuss the next line of treatment : Vanco or Dificid.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:21 am

Agree. Contact doc and consider Med change.

jdoo
New User

Postby jdoo » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:33 am

I will be calling the doctor tomorrow since it is a holiday today. I have definitely had a response to the Flagyl. In the beginning I was not able to make it to the toilet on time and I felt absolutely miserable. Could barely get off the couch and had cramping pain in lower abdomen. Now I think I may just be getting the diarrhea from the Flagyl. I feel normal, no more cramping and the diarrhea volume is minimal but urgent and frequent. It only happens after I take the Flagyl. No diarrhea at all from 10pm to 8am. Could it be possible the diarrhea is from the Flagyl?

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:56 pm

I would take a close look at my diet, if I were having diarrhea issues only during the day and evening. Maybe you're eating something that's irritating your gut. Are you on a bland, BRAT sort of diet?

jdoo
New User

Postby jdoo » Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:06 pm

Doctor is changing me to vancomycin

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:12 am

That is a good decision , Vanco has a higher cure rate and less side effects. Hopefully this round or treatment will do the trick.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”