Cdiff Scare

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Tori825
New User

Cdiff Scare

Postby Tori825 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:16 pm

Hi my name is Tori, I am a 26 year old female. I was actually diagnosed October 2016, post baby. I went to an urgent care due to an infection on my nose ring, I was given bacterium and felt too sick on it so then they gave me clyndamicin. And low and behold I got the runs, I was going to to restroom atleast 14 times a day but I was only passing mucus. I got tested and was given flagly for 21 days, I relapsed after that then I took two rounds of vancomycin. The second round had seemed to do the trick
though I had my rough days I was able to eat again and get back to being a mom to my newborn son. I never retested after that because my GI stated she didn't want to because of my symptoms, and I also have no insurance so I have been paying out of pocket for everything. Well recently my one year old had a stomach bug and I got it I started feeling ill but it has gotten better. It's been about a week I got from constipation, to the runs to normal stool so it scares me I do get cramps on my left side under my ribcage. I went in to see my doctor and she wants to retest for everything because she said it can be multiple things. I have not taken any antibiotics, only thin I take are tums, apple cider vinegar and Imodium if I have a bout of the runs but it doesn't last long. I am scared because I have a one year old and I am just terrified of cdiff period. I have no idea if it's IBS, can I get cdiff so long after my last dose of vancomycin which was back in December 2016. Please if you have any advice I would love to hear it another opinion. If I need a FMT where do I go? Do they have options for uninsured people. I want to live a long life with my son and everytime I go to the bathroom I get scared and look at it and if I see mucus or anything I freak out and it puts a big toll on my family, me and my husbands relationship. He hates seeing me scared and worried and sick of course! Thank you guys for your time I appreciate it! I'm just a concerned first time mommy!

roy
Administrator

Re: Cdiff Scare

Postby roy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:23 pm

If you have got well quickly theres no need to worry.
Babys going to share a lot more bugs with you in the next 15 years!
Sounds normal.
I don't think I would be spending anything on tests just because of a simple selflimiting gut upset.

Tori825
New User

Postby Tori825 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:47 pm

Thank you for such a quick reply and I know, he is the light of my life and I prefer to spend money on other things for him! Especially since I'm sick around his birthday, I am still passing very loose stools only about 1-3 times a day, but they do have mucus. And at times yellow I'm guessing that is why my my GI is concerned but I am not sure if she is as knowledgeable as I think

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Tori,

Welcome to the site. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, etc.

So sorry you aren't feeling well. I relapsed once after Flagyl, and was cured by vanco. Recovery was not easy as it took me quite some months to feel relatively normal. I have had IBS issues since, but it has gotten a ton better. I had c-diff back in Sept 2014, so it's been a long time for me since I've had it. I got c-diff when my daughter was 3. Since then she has passed on numerous illnesses to me - too many to count. Unfortunately kids are just walking germ bags. :-) Once you have an infection like c-diff, it can take some of us longer to recuperate after catching a stomach virus or other illness. Hopefully, you are getting these GI issues because of the virus. It doesn't sound completely alarming to me yet, but if things get worse, then it may be time to test. I would also test for all pathogens as it could be something else causing your issues. Have you tried adding probiotics to see if they help calm things down and balance out your gut flora?

As time goes on, the anxiety will lessen. I used to get really freaked out whenever something was off with my BMs. That's normal for all of us on this site. I have had every test imaginable at this point to rule out everything, so I have come to accept that I have IBS days, a gift left to me from c-diff. I don't worry anymore like I used to. I do think that if I had to take an antibiotic and BMs went bad, that would create fear and anxiety, but all we can do is control the now. Take care of your gut the best that you can and try to avoid antibiotics. If you have to take an antibiotic again, then you will deal with it the best that you can. I did get through a z-pak fine since c-diff. You are a ways out from c-diff now, so I think the odds are in your favor. I don't think you even need to worry about an FMT at this point. Hopefully things start to improve for you and if you do test, you are negative for c-diff toxins.

Feel better,
Lisa

Tori825
New User

Postby Tori825 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Thank you Lisa!!!!! I love your response and it made me feel so much better today I have only had 2 bowel movements none were solid but not completely watery either. As time goes on I can't wait to be more calm! I would love to get your advice. I am a new mom and my son is 1 years old I got a job at a school as a kindergarten aide. I know they are germ bags do you feel I would be putting myself at risk accepting a position like this? I actually have everything to test again but unfortunately I live in Texas and hurricane Harvey made me evacuate my home. Once again thank you so much you made me feel so much better just talking to people that have suffered like me makes me feel so much more at ease.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:24 am

Tori
Sorry you have issues but please know that the recovery after Cdiff is hard. After you get off meds you will lots of "hard days" especially mornings with abnormal BM , mucus and abdominal discomfort ,food intolerances etc , as long as the frequency is not high and you are not having D you should not worry. You need to be patient and give your gut time to heal as time is the best healer , eat bland foods and slowly add new foods back into your diet ,rest and enjoy spending time with your baby , stop obsessing over Cdiff and relapses and also stop looking in the toilet, it will only create more anxiety and anxiety will give you more gut discomfort. Also , you need to stay away from Immodium , try switching it with Pepto Bismol or a good binding agent like Questran .

Tori825
New User

Postby Tori825 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:31 am

Thank you for your reply also! It is a hard recovery and slowly but surely I am getting there! I will enjoy him more and try to stay focused on my recovery, I just get really scared when it comes to mucus and I do have really tough mornings some days and im like I just wanna wake up and enjoy my day conquer it with my little man. It's just seriously draining waking up with him every morning and dealing with this I remember when I was sick there were days when he was a newborn I would put him in his bassinet in front of the restroom door and watch him while I went to the restroom 12-15 times a day! I am just so horrified and want to make sure I am better for my self but mostly for him!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:04 am

Being sick while caring for a little one is so very difficult. I remember feeling the mommy guilt that I just couldn't give my full attention to my daughter. I remember being so sick on Halloween, but I pushed myself to take her trick or treating. I was shivering all night after that and really thought I was going to wind up in the ER. Somehow, us moms just trek through it. We have no choice but to. But you will see that the further and further out you go from c-diff, things all fall back into place. It will be like you never skipped a beat.

On another note, I am so very sorry that you have been affected by this tragic storm. To have to be evacuated on top of everything else is just so horrific. My thoughts go out to you and everybody whose lives have been uprooted in Texas.

As far as being a kindergarten aide, I would just take extra precaution with washing your hands, not touching your face, keeping your immune system up with vitamins and nutrients, etc. Don't let the fear of antibiotics change your life. The majority of sicknesses that children carry are viruses.

Wishing you all the best,
Lisa

Tori825
New User

Postby Tori825 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:22 am

This community has just been such a blessing to me! Thank you Lisa for your advice it makes me just feel so much better, I have waited so long to talk to someone that has been through this horrific sickness. God knows these words mean everything to me. My family understands me but can't relate on experience. I will follow my heart and what god wants for me and hopefully after this horrific storm the school is still standing. Thank you for your empathy for our state! It's been rough but god is good and we will triumph!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”