Vanco pulsing. I take vanco 2 times, 5am & 5pm. Then 2 days without for 2 wks. Repeat for 1 vanco. Get nasty symptoms?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Vanco pulsing. I take vanco 2 times, 5am & 5pm. Then 2 days without for 2 wks. Repeat for 1 vanco. Get nasty symptom

Postby Machaon » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:25 pm

NanciT, 3 months was quite a long taper. Why 3 months? Why not 2 months or 4 months? And then you relapsed two weeks later. Good grief! I would have been frustrated out of my mind! In fact I AM frustrated out of my mind!

I know that you give great, knowledgeable advice. But, I panic too easily. We all know that a full C-diff infection is UGLY, nasty, embarrassing and debilitating. It is horrible! I don't want to go there again, EVER!

This is day two of vanco three times, and about 4 days of runny potties and feeling ill. I am feeling better and just had a more solid potty, for the first time in 4 days. What attacked my gut? Did too many spores germinate and cause too much of a C-diff attack? I didn't take kafir. Perhaps I just don't have enough "good" bacteria down there to help? Do I need to take 14 days of vanco to rid myself of this latest infection? Or... as you suggest, perhaps I am not letting the taper/pulsing run it's course?

I don't see how the pulsing could have been working because I was just getting too sick, with runny potties.

I see my ID next week. In the meantime, I've got to decide whether to go another day of vanco 3x or begin vanco 2x? I want to begin vanco 2x, but not skip days.

Thanks, NanciT, for your time and patience and understanding. As you can tell, you are communicating with a very stubborn person. My wife has put up with my stubbornness for 52 years! How and why she ever put up with me is quite the mystery!
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Re: Vanco pulsing. I take vanco 2 times, 5am & 5pm. Then 2 days without for 2 wks. Repeat for 1 vanco. Get nasty symptom

Postby Machaon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:09 am

Still experiencing more solid potties and am feeling much better. Could my body be telling me that the vanco-pulsing is working?? The skipping of two days caused the spores to hatch. Taking only one vanco the next day wasn't enough to kill the newly hatched C-diff. The C-diff proceeded to attack my gut and, of course, cause increased problems, especially with potty!

So... instead of continuing with Bakken's protocol, I'm going to listen to my body.

Back to pulsing!

The problem with all of the different tapering/pulsing protocols is that none of them is tailored specifically to the individual. If one works, then great, if it doesn't... UGH!

Today I take vanco 3x again, at 5am, 1pm and 9pm. If I do okay, I will take vanco 2x tomorrow, at 5am and 5pm, and go from there. If symptoms don't worsen, I will skip a day. If symptoms worsen, I will go back to vanco 3x. The theory, of course, is, let the little buggers hatch (germinate) and then slaughter them!

It's hard to believe that the biggest threat to our health and well-being, besides politicians, are life forms too small to see!
Male 77 S.Florida

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:50 am

My new vanco pulsing protocol (includes probiotics):

Took vanco 3x for three days, followed by vanco 2x for one day, followed by NO vanco today! If I get thru today without unpleasant and increasing symptoms, then I'll keep skipping vanco.

If unpleasant symptoms return:

I'll take vanco 3x for another three days, followed by vanco 2x for one day, followed by no vancos for as long as I can.

I want my body to tell me when the pulsing is working. When, and if, I can completely stop taking vanco, I'll know that the pulsing has been successful. The only way to know for certain is to stay off vanco. Buts... if I try to stay off vanco and "initial" C-diff symptoms return, I'll try to thoroughly destroy the newly hatched, germinated C-diff (that are causing the symptoms) with three days of 3x vanco; and try again.

If this doesn't work, I'll want to try dificid.

For me, this makes much more sense than trying a "one size fits all" approach.

In the meantime, I nervously await my next potty (gurgle, gurgle, gurgle).
Male 77 S.Florida

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:55 pm

Please consult your Dr regarding your medication.
Please do not post any more details of your self administration of meds as what you are doing is just plain dangerous!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”