CDiff negative for 1 year and am panicking over taking antibiotic for a sinus infection

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Gina1999
New User

CDiff negative for 1 year and am panicking over taking antibiotic for a sinus infection

Postby Gina1999 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:41 pm

I am a 38 year old female. I had cdiff for two years after 4 months of dental work and many rounds of antibiotics ( one right after another). I had to undergo, flagyl , Vanco and 3 FMT treatments before I had a negative cdiff result. Now, a year later, I am absolutely petrified to take the recommended augmentin for a sinsus infection. I have been sick for several weeks and my Dr really feels I need it to get better. I am looking for other peoples experiences taking antibiotics after being cdiff free. I'm also wondering what other people have taken for sinus infections because I know augmentin is high on the " do not take list"

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: CDiff negative for 1 year and am panicking over taking antibiotic for a sinus infection

Postby NanciT » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Hello Gina1999 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

It sounds like many of us here on the site you had a tough time getting rid of CDIFF. I understand your fear of antibiotics and especially augmentin.

If it were me, I would see another ENT( if you are seeing a Primary insist on an ENT!). Each case is different but the physicians that treat you must know you had a terrible time getting rid of CDIFF and all steps should be taken before antibiotics are given, There are cases in which they are necessary, we have a list under CDI and I would take that list in with me.

The other option is have your current doctor CALL your GI that did those FMT's, they should discuss how difficult your case was and the risks and treatment options for you

Wishing you the best with this

NanciT

Gina1999
New User

Re: CDiff negative for 1 year and am panicking over taking antibiotic for a sinus infection

Postby Gina1999 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:41 am

Hi NanciT,
I did read through the first thread for new posters and the rules. Did I do something wrong?

I am seeing my primary care Dr. He is very aware of all I have been through with cdiff but feels the infection I have now requires an antibiotic. I asked to see an ENT but the appointment would take over a month and I have been so sick. He recommended the Augmentin because it would cover all sinus bacteria and I would only need one round.

I currently don't have a GI doctor. The local one I first saw when I had cdiff treated me with the flagyl, vanco and vanco taper. When none of that was effective he referred me off for FMT. The doctor I saw for FMT was only doing a study using frozen pills. She did not follow me after the study was complete, so I can't contact her for advice.

I can call the first GI doctor I saw, but because that was years ago now, Im not sure he will advise me.

This forum and reading peoples experiences has been so helpful through my cdiff that I thought posting and getting feedback might help. I don't want to be sick any longer with this but want to be safe as possible when taking an antibiotic for the first time.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:40 am

Hi Gina - You did nothing wrong. We just post that as an intro to all new posters in case they did not see the forum.

I can tell you that I had multiple FMTs also and l had tested negative for c diff for 4 years, but after I took antibiotics, I tested positive. I had to do FMT enemas at home. You could ask the doctor to do a culture to see what specific bacteria you have. If he is not an ENT, he might not do that though. Doxycycline works often and so does a Z pak and those are not as likey to give you c diff, especially the doxy. Why not ask your doctor if you can try one of those? Even Bactrim would be a little better. Before c diff, I used to take Bactrim for sinus infections and it worked quite well.

An ENT might be able to put antibiotics directly into your nasal cavity. I have heard of that technique, but you would need a referral.

I would definitely ask about some of the other antibiotics though.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:24 am

Augmentin is one of the HIGH offenders ,and with you Cdiff history I would not touch it unless my life would depend on it. As Beth suggested , if you are convinced that you are dealing with a bacterial infection (50 % of sinus infection are viral) then you can ask for a low offender. There is a list of antibiotics on CDI thread , you can check it.

Gina1999
New User

Postby Gina1999 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:06 am

Thank you Beth and Georgina,

I will call my Dr today and talk about other antibiotics. I have been doing a lot of research and have found that Cipro, in studies, is as effective as augmentin in treating sinus infections. That is also listed as "middle of the road" antibiotic. Any thoughts on Cipro?

Beth, what antibiotic made you test positive after 4 years of being negative? Has anyone had success with drinking kafeir and staying negative?

This is so scary! I just want to feel better but not end up worse with cdiff! For weeks my throat has been so bad from post nasal drip I can barely swallow!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:13 pm

Hi Gina1999

I am one of the moderators and we write that intro for all new posters. If you look under CDI there is a list you can review with your doctor of antibiotics that are "lower" offenders. Cipro is right up there with augmentin. I also agree with the culture, then your MD will have a list of antibiotics the bacteria is sensitive and you can compare with the list.

NanciT

Gina1999
New User

Postby Gina1999 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:21 pm

Hi NanciT,

Thank you for responding! I have the list of antibiotics and printed it. Cipro was in the middle list so I thought it was safer. Does each section of the list (Like "Middle of the road") List them from greatest threat to least? For example, Cipro is worst choice and Zithro is best for the middle of the road list?

I can't have a culture done because getting in with an ENT takes a month. My dr. wants to pick the least threatening antibiotic that will cover the most forms of sinus bacteria.
Thank you for all the advice!

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:01 pm

My advice would be to see an ENT if you haven't already. They can scope and take a look at your sinuses to see if it looks bacterial. They can also take a culture to determine the bacteria. When I was two years out from c-diff, I had a nasty sinus infection. I tried every home remedy and tried to fight it. I had a feeling it was bacterial due to the mucus and taste. My ENT scoped me and new I needed an antibiotic. Due to my c-diff history, we went with the z-pak. Z-pak doesn't always work, but I felt the most comfortable taking that one. I was already taking probiotics, but increased them during and for several weeks after. I did fine with it, and thank goodness by the last pill, the infection started to go away. I would definitely make sure to see an ENT though because the majority of sinus infections are viral. I know that some are hard to get into quickly, but are there any groups near where you live? We have one called ENT and Allergy, and they tend to take you in rather quickly. Maybe call and tell them your situation and if there is anything that they can do to get you in. Maybe there is a cancellation.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:31 pm

Cipro gave me c diff twice. If it is listed,as middle of the road, we need to revise the list. I will check into it. Last year, I do not remember what was given to me in the hospital, but it only came in iv form and was a cephalosporin. At home I had to continue with cefuroxime, also a cephalosporin.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 am

Cipro is one of the high offender , years ago was considered middle of the road but not anymore.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:51 am

I got c-diff after taking a cephalosproin, called Cefdinir. It's the generic of Omnicef. I was given it for a so-called sinus infection at the time. My husband took Levaquin, after a round of Amoxicillin failed for a nasty sinus infection. The ENT took a culture and he had a bacteria that was resistant to the amoxicillin. The Levaquin knocked it right out. It is considered middle of the road. Although, as I said previously, I took my chances with a Z-pak.

Gina1999
New User

Postby Gina1999 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:20 am

Thank you everyone for your advice and support. My Dr called in Clarithromycin ( Biaxin). It was very low on the list so he went with that.
I was supposed to start it last night. I am so scared and just giving myself another day. Hoping something magical happens and I get better without it. I tried getting in with several ENT but they are all booking several weeks out.
I have kafeir and florastor ready to take when I start the antibiotics. Kafeir never helped me with the Vanco taper like it did for so many others, but it's worth trying.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:13 am

I now several ex-Cdiff-ers that went on a course of Clarithromycin and did fine , hopefully you will too.Try a probiotic along with it like Florastor . Good luck!

Gina1999
New User

Postby Gina1999 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:16 am

Thank you Georgina!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”