C Diff and Gelatin

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
shooten
Regular User

C Diff and Gelatin

Postby shooten » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Hello Everyone,

I know with c diff your digestive tract gets destroyed. I was reading about gelatin and saw it is supposed to help heal digestive issues. I was wondering if anyone has tried gelatin and had success with it? I saw walmart sells gelatin supplements made by spring valley and was thinking about giving these a go to see if they would help heal my gut faster. I am currently on the last week of my vancomycin taper/pulse dose. When I was taking the vancomycin every day I was no issues and could eat anything I wanted. Now that I am on the pulse dose portion I have been having stomach tenderness, gas, nausea, and lack of appetite. The symptoms are very similar to when I had gastritis.
Last edited by shooten on Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roy
Administrator

Re: C Diff and Gelatin

Postby roy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:55 pm

The idea of the pulse is that the c.diff spores germinate and the next dose kills them, in other words the c.diff is active for a day or two and early relapse symptoms might return.
Its a very effective treatment though.
I don't thing I would risk trying gelatin (or anything else new).
If it did upset your gut you would not know if it was the gelatin or a relapse!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: C Diff and Gelatin

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:57 pm

Agree with Roy. Wait to try gelatin or other supplements until you are done with meds. I do know of one woman who made her own gelatin and also bone broth and she said it helped her. This was several years ago and I don't remember the details.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”