23 year old w/ C.Diff and no idea how i contracted it (one doctor blamed kombucha)

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lexwee
New User

23 year old w/ C.Diff and no idea how i contracted it (one doctor blamed kombucha)

Postby lexwee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:08 am

A quick overview: I became very ill early July and finally went to the ER after three weeks of no help from family doctor and after two days without eating or drinking water. I am a 23 year old who has never been on antibiotics and I haven't traveled outside of the country. So, doctors were shocked and have no clue how I got C. Diff one even blamed kombucha because I drink it nearly everyday.. anyways I completed my first course of Flagyl and I felt better for two days after comoletion.. but then I felt my C.Diff had returned. I went back to the ER and the doctor there (even after seeing my records from my previous hospital stay) completely blew me off with saying that maybe it was just a "cold virus" and if it was C.Diff that I can not go on antibiotics because that is what causes it.. basically telling me "Goodluck I can't do anything for you." I was so upset and began crying because I felt hopeless. I finally found someone that would prescribe me another course of Flagyl so I am currently on day 7 of taking it 4 times a day. The other night I threw up and ever since I have only been taking it twice a day because it makes my stomach to sick. I guess I'm just looking for guidance and words of incouragement. It feels like it is endless and that it isn't completely gone but I just can't handle taking Flagyl anymore.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: 23 year old w/ C.Diff and no idea how i contracted it (one doctor blamed kombucha)

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:48 am

Hi and welcome to the site. You can read the first forum for more information and posting guidelines.

I would call your regular doctor and ask to be switched to vancomycin. If your insurance doesn't cover it, you can get a liquid form that is much cheaper. Vanco has fewer side effects and people generally tolerate it well. If your insurance covers a drug called Dificid, that is even a better choice. If the Flayl is making you sick, taking less is not really advisable to cure the c difficile and you should really switch medication. Flagyl has a lot of other nasty side effects as well.

lexwee
New User

Re: 23 year old w/ C.Diff and no idea how i contracted it (one doctor blamed kombucha)

Postby lexwee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:08 am

Thank you so much, you are heaven sent! I will try and switch immediately. It feels like the Flagyl has cured my C. Diff currently but it is also hard to tell because being on Flagyl I feel the same C.Diff symptoms except my stool is almost normal again (like last time when I thought it went away but it shortly came back again.) Do you advise I still tell my doctor I want to switch? Or should I stop Flagyl and see if the C.Diff comes back/hasn't gone away yet?

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:16 am

I would call your doctor and tell him or her that you are having these symptoms and see if they want you to take more meds or not. Tell them if you have to continue that you would like to take vancomycin or Dificid instead. I'm not sure if you have been on the Flagyl enough days for the second course. From what I know, the second course is usually 14 days.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:59 am

Agree with Beth , you should get switched to Vanco. Flagyl has nasty side effects , one of them is vomiting , and doesn't even have a high cure rate as Vanco or Dificid , actually is not even FDA approved as a Cdiff treatment.I remember my experience with Flagyl, it was really bad, i was vomiting everything i was drinking or eating , D wasn't getting any better either , couldn't take it more then 7 days , by the end of the seventh day i got switched to vanco and it was like a night and day difference.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:11 am

You don't mention details of your symptoms, it might explain why your Dr was reluctant to treat you for an active c.diff infection if you were asymptomatic.
Did you have the classic c.diff D?

lexwee
New User

Postby lexwee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:31 pm

So today I talked to my doctor and he told me to cut the Flagyl pills in half and continue taking it 4 times daily until I finish them all. It feels as though my C.Diff is (maybe) gone but it is also hard to tell because of the way the Flagyl makes me feel - vomiting, achy, exhausted, dizzy. Though, my stools are normal which leads me to believe it could be gone.

- I was very persistent with the ER doctor in telling him my symptoms (diarrhea, stomach pain, dizziness, exhaustion) but he seemed to be in a big rush and was very stern. I told him just last week that I had been hospitalized and had suffered from it all of July I even started crying while telling him because I felt so helpless. He said "you know maybe it's just a cold, it is going around... and then I interrupted him and told him no it is not a cold I know what i feel like. And he got really angry that I interrupted him and told me that if it is C.Diff that I can not go on antibiotics because antibiotics typically is what causes it. So I left that day with no help and then I found this message board which gave me so much hope. The next day I called my doctor and he gave me my second round of Flagly.. which is where I am now.

I guess I will listen to my doctor and continue taking Flagly despite the vomiting and how weak I feel from it. I almost just want to stop completely for a few days and see if the diarrea symptoms of C.Diff comes back and then tell him that I need a different antibiotic.

I feel a huge amount of relief just knowing that there is two other antibiotics that will help me, I just hope I can get them sooner rather than later because this is exhausting.

Also, I should add that I was diagnosed with C.Diff after a colonoscopy.

Thank you so very much for both of your feedback. You don't know how much it means to me. Through out this experience there were days that I actually felt like I was dying ( after a week of not eating + losing 12 pounds in a week) it's been scary. I weigh 97 pounds now and before the C.Diff I was at 110.

lexwee
New User

Postby lexwee » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:45 pm

Sorry if my posts are a little scrambled I hope they make sense. I also, wanted to ask if maybe someone knows of a reason I may have contracted C.Diff? I mentioned already that I have not taken antibiotics prior to this, and I haven't traveled outside of the country. I am vegetarian and I think that this could contribute to my immune system being low, or so that is what family members say. I also try really hard to eat healthy. I even go out of my way to go to a local nutrition shop for those weird green juice drinks. As well as drinking kombucha nearly every day. I have stopped trying to be healthy because I am almost scared that maybe I got it from something I ate/drank. I don't know if that is possible? One doctor said I contracted C.Diff from kombucha possibly. I have recently even considered giving up being a vegetarian altogether so that I can strengthen my body. I don't know if my diet has contributed to this but I just wanted to ask for an opinion.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:12 am

C difficile is all around. If you use public toilets, you come in contact with it. When you walk around, your shoes probably pick up spores. If you handle a menu at a restaurant that a person with c diff got spores on, you can get it if you don't wash your hands. I have gotten into some habits that drive my family crazy after c diff. When I go to a restaurant, after I look at the menu and before I eat, I go to the bathroom and wash my hands well. When I take my shoes off or put them on, I wash my hands. I clean the outside of my purse a lot more often. I'm just careful to wash my hands a lot more. I would not worry about where you got it, but ask your doctor about your drinks. I'm not a vegetarian and I have no experience with kombucha, but I know a lot of people drink it. I doubt it would be that. The spores come from a fecal source. Ask your doctor about it - maybe there is some kind of warning out about it or something.

lexwee
New User

Postby lexwee » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Thank you Beth! That helps a lot! I work as a waitress in a restaurant so I am definitely going to be A LOT more aware of the menus (something I didn't consider before.)

On a side note: I'm a bit worried because I noticed a little blood when using the restroom today (sorry to be graphic.) It wasn't a lot, but it was obviously blood from my stool. I am going to monitor it, until I see my doctor on Friday.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:43 pm

If you are not having symptoms of c diff, it could be hemorrhoids or irritation. If you get a lot more and/or a lot of mucus, call the doctor.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:07 am

Agree with others - Vanco or Dificid. Stop the kombucha. Probiotics aren't always "good" for you.

How long after the scope did you develop c diff???

Don't panic. You are young and otherwise healthy and you will recover. Think of us as a much of Mothers (and one dad - Roy - ) who will help you through this.

Hang on.
"

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”