Can you be Toxin A positive and Toxin B negative

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
kanak
New User

Can you be Toxin A positive and Toxin B negative

Postby kanak » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:23 pm

I continue to have all the symptoms of c diff. I have had a few pcr tests since my FMT, all come back negative. I know it only tests for Toxin B. Could I have toxin A c diff if I have tested positive and been treated 3 times prior by a pcr being positive for B? Is this why it keeps coming back? My very first test was antigen positive toxin negative followed by a positive pcr next day.

How do I test for toxin A? My doctor only orders pcr testing and my Mayo doctor only orders pcr testing.
Thank you.

Amy

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can you be Toxin A positive and Toxin B negative

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:06 pm

I'd try Alinia.

https://www.scripps.edu/newsandviews/e_ ... janda.html

The answer to your question is yes, some strains of C diff only make toxin A. Those strains are generally considered less serious, which is why the pcr test only looks for toxin B genes. I would be really surprised if you had toxin B forming C diff, got cured of that, and then developed a new infection with a different strain that only makes toxin A.

I recommend Alinia somewhat tongue in cheek, because it is a de-wormer. If a dog develops refractory D, most vets will prescribe de-wormer because it usually solves the problem. It would also work against Giardia, or at least it does in dogs. Best of luck on getting answers.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can you be Toxin A positive and Toxin B negative

Postby georgina » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:40 am

You can defintely be positive for toxin A only. I am still testing positive for Cdiff , just toxin A but the infection never went full blown so i decided to stop treating and i am still ok , with good and bad days.
There is no test that will determine just toxin A so you will have to get tested trough the EIA method , and to rule out false negatives you can request to be tested three days in a row.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”