Clindamycin after C Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Olivia82
Brand New Poster

Clindamycin after C Diff

Postby Olivia82 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:34 pm

Hi, I had C. Difficile in 2012 so quite a while ago after three weeks of antibiotics for an infection. It took me three courses of antibiotics to get rid of C. Difficile.
I have an infection again and I have been prescribed 7 days of clindamycin (cream). I asked my doctor to prescribe something else, explained to him the C. Diff episode but he said he never heard of someone having C. Diff after using clindamycin in cream version. I have been using for 4 days and I am not feeling well today. I don't know what to do. I am tempted to complete the treatment now that I am into it so that I really get rid of the bacteria but I am really scared of having C. Diff again.
Anybody took clindamycin after C. Diff and was ok? I read it was a dangerous antibiotic for C. Diff, is it less dangerous as a cream? All doctors insist that if you don't take the full course of antibiotics it could make the infection worse... How can I stop the infection if I stop the antibiotics?
Please share your experiences of antibiotics after C. Diff.
Thanks for your help!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Clindamycin after C Diff

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:04 pm

Hello Olivia82 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

First I want to mention if there is ANY question about the risks of any medication, contact your Pharmacist. When you pick up an RX they will go over everything with you.
If you read through this site, you will find Clindamycin in any form will put anyone at risk for CDIFF. Unfortunately we need to become our own advocates which can be difficult. I would call the doctor back and tell him your concern and ask for another option for treatment. If he does not respond, I would find another doctor.

I am very clear with any physician( just recently saw a new Hematologist) and in my case I had CDIFF for 10 months and was terribly sick. The health issues I have now are directly related to CDIFF I make it loud and clear.

You may also want to call your pharmacist and explain your situation. They can look this up for you and also may have options you can speak with the doctor about.

If you develop diarrhea, call your GI and explain the situation. You ma want to test.

Hope everything works out
NanciT

Olivia82
Brand New Poster

Postby Olivia82 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:31 pm

Thank you very much for your prompt reply. I just talked to an online doctor here in the UK and she told me to stop clindamycin immediately as I have completed most of the treatment and it's too risky for the C. Diff. I will need to have another test to check that my infection is gone and if not I will have to take less dangerous antibiotics.
I am really disappointed with my doctor who prescribed the clindamycin in the first place. I really insisted on not taking this antibiotic, I told him it was broad spectrum and associated with C. Difficile. But in the end I trusted him as he's a professional. II would think that all doctors know about the dangers of antibiotics but clearly not.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Fri Jul 28, 2017 5:44 pm

Sadly many don't A way to avoid this is when you go in and they ask if you are ALLERGIC to any medications, say YES I am allergic to Clindamycin. It gave me CDIFF. As documented in your record, they are not able to give you any medication that made you ill. The medical community needs to work on understanding all the risks of these antibiotics.
Sounds like you got hold of a good MD!

NanciT

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:09 pm

Olivia, hopefully you are not having another bout of c diff.
I also had c diff as a result of clindamycin, mine the usual means of taking by mouth, but unless it was a life threatening situation I would not take it again. Even if a broad spectrum antibiotic was an absolute necessity, and usually (but not always-but mostly) you can wait for the results of a culture, and get a targeted, specific antibiotic.

Regardless, as NanciT told you, clindamycin is notorious for causing c diff and especially after having a history of this illness I especially would not take it in any form.
Best wishes,
Rita

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:04 pm

I was,using clindamycin cream when I got c diff, so yes it can happen. Years ago I used clindamycin topically and I got D. The dermatologist had me stop and the D went away. This was before c diff. I will never use clindamycin again in any form.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:48 am

I also got C. diff from clindamycin, oral form. Like Nanci, I have "allergic" entered on my medical record, since there's no other category that fits better. Like Ril, I wouldn't take clindamycin again in any form unless it was a life-death situation that no other antibiotic could address.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:06 pm

I too got Cdiff from Clindamycin oral form. When I told my PCP I obtained Cdiff from it his response was that all antibiotics put us at risk even though it is in the warning label and my GI said clindamycin is a huge cause of cdiff. I am currently looking for a new PCP and am putting in my allergic list clindamycin.

I hope you are not having a relapse and you caught in time to recover quickly.

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:42 pm

Clindamycin was the culprit that brought C Diff into my life .

I agree with the others . Unless my life is in jeopardy (or even a loved one's life) I would refuse clindamycin.

AllisS
Long Time Contributor

Postby AllisS » Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:02 am

I hope that everyone posting in this thread (and in others) who contracted C. diff as a result of clindamycin will click on the link at the end of my post and fill out an adverse-event report on the FDA website. FDA has been too slow to issue stricter warnings for this drug (or to remove it from the market altogether). However, reports from people who were harmed by it such as us are the best hope of this happening in the future.
If your illness was preceded by use of a medication, e.g., an antibiotic, please fill out an FDA Adverse Event Report at http://www.fda.gov/Safety/MedWatch/default.htm

cnatra
Contributor

Postby cnatra » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:21 pm

Thx AllisS

I just filed a report !!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”