Ended Flagyl treatment 4 days in. Need advice.

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
arashits
Brand New Poster

Ended Flagyl treatment 4 days in. Need advice.

Postby arashits » Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:11 pm

Shorts story.
23-year-old athlete. Clean food, plenty of water, exercise twice a day, have sex and sleep around 7 hours a day.
Had to treat cellulitis with clindamycin for 2 weeks. Boom cellulitis is gone.( perfect)
5 days after clindamycin I start getting diarrhea.
Run to walk in clinic, the doctor suspects C diff and prescribes Flagyl without taking a stool sample. Hands me the sample.
I take the antibiotics the same day and next morning return my stool sample. 2 days later I get a call, I'm negative for C diff.
They tell me to come in and do another test just in case. By this time, I no longer diarrhea every day and have fluffy solid poops. The second sample I provided was a formed GREEN poop that smelled like death. I was SURE this is the smell everyone is talking about. I get the call next two days they said tested negative for c diff tox A/B, Salmonella, Shigella or Campylobacter isolated. Recommended me to stop taking Flagyl ( on day 4) and see if how I feel. I've been drinking kefir, kombuchas and eating yogurt daily during the treatment. On Tuesday I received my sac.boulardii by jarrows formula and that seems to help A LOT. I'm getting Dr Tobias prebiotic supplement tomorrow to stack with sac.boulardii. I eat no carbs. Only meats, fats and veggies. What worries me is today before exercise I had a good bowel movement (solid long piece) followed by slight diarrhea. ( perhaps the sausage didn't sit well yet).
I had slight cramping today but nothing close to what I was experiencing prior to probiotics. Has anyone else stopped antibiotic treatment early and was successful in recovery?
I am VERY NERVOUS

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Ended Flagyl treatment 4 days in. Need advice.

Postby OCmama » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:37 pm

How many doses of flagyl did you take before doing stool sample?

arashits
Brand New Poster

Postby arashits » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:08 pm

I took 2 doses before I submitted my first sample.
I am 5 days away since stopping on my 10th dose. Side effects alone were worse than I was before and felt relieved being told to stop taking them. Current effects are bloating after eating, cramping dull pain stopped yesterday morning. My digestive system isn't moving food as fast it did. But it's moving it.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:26 pm

*not a doctor, not giving medical advice in any capacity* antibiotic associated diarrhea is common, C. diff only makes up 20% of antibiotic associated diarrhea. In my opinion *again NOT a doctor* you were lucky and do not have C. diff. That being said, if the diarrhea comes back go get re-tested for C. diff. Don't treat without a positive test result (in my personal opinion/experience). Also, I would go get Bio-k and florastor, if you haven't done so already, as you have taken 2 different kinds of antibiotics, one of them being a high offender for causing C. diff. I hope you feel better soon!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”