Recurrence & throwing up?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
merle17
New User

Recurrence & throwing up?

Postby merle17 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:56 pm

Hello all,
Thanks so much to all of you for sharing you ur experiences here it is a relief to have a place to go and ask questions from those who have been and are still going through this.
Ten days ago I finished my 14 days on Flagyl and thought I was on the mend. But three days ago the cramping and diahrrea came back with a vengance and today while in extremis on the potty i began vomiting all over the floor. Has anyone else dealt with vomiting as well? Does this mean i am worse off than i was before? I am little freaked out because i am supposed to go to a family birthday celebration this weekend with kids and my older parents. I am afaid to infect anyone. Any and all advice is welcome.
Oh, and let me ask does the food you eat have any impact on a recurrence.
Thank you for being here!
Sincerely,
Merle

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: Recurrence & throwing up?

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:45 pm

Hello Merle17 and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

If you have had Diarrhea return with a vengeance as you have mentioned, you need to call your GI. If the diarrhea continues they will treat and not test generally. This time I would ask for Vancomycn and not flagyl again. Vomiting is not typical with CDIFF but for ME I always had terrible vomiting on relapses. There are a few of us who had vomiting. In my case the diarrhea was not severe, only a few times a day but the vomiting was terrible. I did not have this with initial diagnosis, only each time I relapsed. In my case, that is how I knew it was back.

Sorry you had to find us and are going through this. Call you GI and let them know asap. Between the diarrhea and vomiting, dehydration can be a problem quickly. Try and drink "Smart Water" which has electrolytes. As far as eating, it won't cause a relapse. Some people require more than one round of treatment.

Hope you feel better soon
NanciT

amg
Regular Contributor

Postby amg » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:06 pm

HI Merle17,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. NanciT gave you good advice. I would only add that if I were you, I would NOT attend the birthday party where kids and some elderly folk would be present. It sounds like you are likely contagious at this point.

Also, the concern with diet isn't so much causing a relapse as it is upsetting your GI tract - that's why people eat bland (starting with the BRAT diet) during this process.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon!

merle17
New User

Postby merle17 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:00 pm

That begs the question, does an upset GI tract trigger recurrence?

merle17
New User

Postby merle17 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:04 pm

Follow up question 2: If I use a separate bathroom from the rest of the family would that make it alright to attend the festivities?

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:30 pm

Merle- I would not attend, if you are currently contagious and experiencing diarrhea you would likely shed spores into the environment at the party. I hope you feel better soon!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:40 pm

I agree with the other's. I cancelled a great deal of events when I was CDIFF positive.

NanciT

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:46 am

Another vote for staying home. C diff ruined many events in my life.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:33 am

While you are dealing with D is best to stay away from events or other group activities.
Your symptoms seem pretty harsh , you may be relapsing .If you are going several times per day with WD and cramps , you should go back to your doctor to get treatment.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”