FMT

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Drake
New User

FMT

Postby Drake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:47 am

I have had cdiff 3-4 times now. All the times I did test positive through labs. I had knee surgeries and one of them I was bed ridden for awhile and got UTI's and was prescribed antibiotics which seemed to of been the beginning to my cdiff issues. I have tried vanco and flagyl which didn't faze the cdiff. Then I was prescribed dificid. It did calm down my symptoms until the 3rd time I got cdiff. Then it was not as helpful as before. The previous 2 times dificid made me feel better within 24 hours. I was prescribed trazadone for sleep a separate issue prior to getting cdiff the 3rd time which my doctor did inform me this was more then likely not the cause. This past week I had a fecal transplant to help with cdiff. I'm 2-3 days out now. I am doing better with not having diarrhea anymore. However I am having very painful cramps and it intensifies when I have to go to the bathroom no matter which one it is. It's a very sharp pain while going to the bathroom. Very sore when not going to the bathroom. Mainly on the left side possibly the abdomen, although it does feel deeper then that. Has anyone experienced this? I'm just trying to figure out all of this. I'm wondering if I may have a food allergy or something else contributing to the issues I'm having. I've done hours of reading and I'm left frustrated and in tears. I'm thankful to all of the doctors trying to help me. I just wanted to talk to others that have had this struggle and may be able to shine some light on this from a different perspective.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: FMT

Postby NanciT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:21 pm

Hello Drake and Welcome to the site. Please read the first thread for all new posters

Reading through this, you mention the pain is deep and sharp, I would call the GI who did the FMT and let them know about the pain. Everyone's experience is different but you just had the procedure and need to follow up with them if you are having issues.

I am sure other's will jump in here that have had FMT's. I did a Dificid taper so I have no personal experience with FMT

I would give them a call, hope you feel better soon!!

NanciT

Drake
New User

Postby Drake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:36 pm

I will add on to my post. I am a 30 year old female. I did go to my family practice doctor today to help with the symptoms I'm having with a very sore abdominal issue. I was informed I have a yeast infection on top of all of this. Which could be playing a factor of the pain. I also did talk more about diet just because every time I had cdiff I just ate what I wanted and when tolerated. I was not sure if diet plays a huge factor in all of this. I never thought to ask so that's my fault. I myself may have been aggravating the situation because of my lack of research the first 2 times I had this. So any diet suggestions would be very helpful to me if anyone benefited from certain things and realized that other things aggravated the issue.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:31 pm

I would eat bland food for a few days - baked chicken breast or turkey, rice, baked potato, cooked vegetables, applesauce, toast, etc. Give your intestines a chance to recover from the c diff, the prep for the FMT and the colonoscopy ( I assume you had a colonoscopy FMT).

Drake
New User

Postby Drake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:56 pm

Yes I did have it done by a colonoscopy. I always go to a professional when I get cdiff because it does scare me and I'm by no means an expert. I'm just learning as I go.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:47 pm

Hi Drake. I would advise you to research mast cell disorders online to see if your symptoms match. Interstitial cystitis and IBS can be caused by mast cell problems. Mast cell disease can be inherited or triggered by your immune system after a serious infection. Dr. Lawrence Afrin wrote an excellent book about the topic which I highly recommend you purchase if your online investigation indicates you could be dealing with mast cell issues.

Drake
New User

Postby Drake » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Thank you for the replies I do really appreciate it. I have wondered if I do have some sort of immunity issue. I have had both knees replaced with cartilage peeling off the bone. Then I had tendon inflammation issues that make no sense because I'm not an athlete. Just odd things that make no sense. I have seen rheumatology which didn't find anything. Then with cdiff my family practice doctor said that she's seen people that don't even know they have it or show any signs of diarrhea. When I get it I'm going to the bathroom hourly within 24 hours. Then I get really sick and have no energy. I always panic at the beginning of getting cdiff thinking I can stop it before it gets bad. I always think I finally got rid of it. This time I went 7 months with no symptoms. Granted I did not run any tests to say otherwise during this time frame because I had no symptoms. This is a very embarrassing issue for me, and I feel a lot better that I found a forum of people that are or did go through this as well.

linnyg
Contributor

Postby linnyg » Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:59 am

I have had 2 FMT's. I had some cramping and soreness after both, and from what I have read, it is common, and is mostly from the procedure itself. If they took biopsies, that can cause the same issues. Diet is extremely important for a while after FMT- baby your gut. Too many carbs usually set me off. I am approaching the 4 month mark, and I still have to be careful.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”