Recovery question

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
Sad2017
New User

Recovery question

Postby Sad2017 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:37 pm

I have reached the 1 month post dificid mark today. I would say things have been going ok so far. I do have up and down days. Down days consist of low energy so mild stomach rumbling and noises. Stools have been pretty consistant from 1-2 sotf formed to formed/ day. I have on occasion skipped a day without a bm which was my normal pre-c. Diff. I have a couple questions:

1) Just curious how long until everyone felt confident that they were truly recovering and started to fear less about a relapse?

2) When I originally was dx back in may i was admitted into hospital for 4 days I did have so colitis which is why they kept me to keep an eye on the inflammation, I was treated with metronidazole TID for 10 days but it returned after 4 days of stopping the med, would that be a relapse or did the metro just probably not clear the original infection?

This site is a God send, thank you all. I hope to one day (hopefully soon) have this nightmare in my past.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Re: Recovery question

Postby OCmama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:52 pm

Hi :-)

1) I went off of the advice on this site for 70 days out to be "out of the woods" for a relapse. As well I believe the general medical criteria for a relapse is 2 months off medication. However, even at 7 months out I still worry every day that it is coming back :-/
The PI-IBS really throws me for a loop.

2) In my opinion the flagyl did not kick your original infection. My daughter's original treatment was 14 days of flagyl, after which the infection never really went away. Treated with Vanco, and then it came roaring back worse than ever; and then treated with 3.5 month vanco taper.

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:34 pm

Thank you OCmama!

Can I ask what type of PI-IBS symptoms you experience? I currently have rumbling, gas, some M that gets passed with gas on occasion. The symptoms seem to be rather random. Today I had a lot of lower abdominal oddness but I also started my monthly (yay lucky me!!) So i think that may be contributing in part. I feel good so I guess as long as I'm not declining I must be hopefully getting better. I lean more towards PI-IBS for myself since I can't imagine a c. Diff relaspe as coming and going day to day, but maybe I'm wrong on that. Thank you gor your response.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:01 pm

Usually with a relapse it can hit hard and fast. It sounds like P IBS to me which I am still dealing with. Good days, bad days. As time passes, the good days are more and more. This can take time, honestly its not like any other illness I have ever had. Recovery from CDIFF can be a slow process and often when any symptoms come up its hard not to panic and have that thought.

If you find you are having a lot of cramps, you can ask the GI for an antispasmodic like Levsin. It can calm things down.

Give yourself the time for recovery and know that you are not alone in this!!

NanciT

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:26 pm

NanciT thank you for the response. You're absolutely right it is tough not to panic at every little rumble or noise or loose stool! I try to tell myself if I'm not having diarrhea and feeling worse I'm sure I'm ok but that doesn't even work sometimes! I would be devastated to work hard for the last month and have it come back even though I know that is rather selfish since others go through hell and back with this. I just want my life back and to get back to being the mother and wife I was before this all happened. I get so worried this will return and I will be forever battling for my health. Thank you for listening.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:58 pm

I get cramping, urgency, loose stools, "sticky" stool, sometimes get stomach upset after certain foods; never thought I would share that with the world ;-)

I had a pressed juice with Kale in it that made me have significant stomach upset (and D) for 4 days! :-/ also can't do any weird dressings, and cruciferous vegetables are not my friends, raw foods in general are a danger zone, which has been a whole different way of eating for me as my go to foods (before the C. diff colitis) were raw fruits and vegetables. In the beginning of recovery (first 2-3 months) I would get occasional mucus, but that has subsided. I also notice that I get heightened stomach problems when I get a cold or virus.

My ID says it's PI-IBS and it may get better with time, or it may not. It is very different than when I had C. diff colitis; during the infection I was sure that I was going die and often hoped that I would. PI-IBS is a pain and sometimes pretty inconvenient, but as long as it's not C. diff I'm thanking my lucky stars.
Last edited by OCmama on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sad2017
New User

Postby Sad2017 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:01 pm

I guess 1 more question what does one consider early recovery? Is it the first few weeks, or months? I am 1 month off meds today just curious if this is typical for where I am?

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:16 pm

It is typical. Often BM's are "all over the place" in recovery and this can go on for awhile. I tend to think if you were on treatment for a long time like I was ( 1 Year and 4 relapses) my recovery has been Long.....and it's taken me a long time to recover. I was also on Dificid for 3 months which I believe was very harsh on my system. I was on a wait list for an FMT at the time.
We have posters who take Flagyl( one round) and then start eating their regular diet. It's tough to know why it actually takes more time for some people but that is why we stay on here supporting people. Its a very difficult illness not only physically but emotionally it take a big toll. We all want our life back and you WILL get it. If you know what you are going through is often the case especially on this site, it does make it easier to know you are not alone.
Little by little, you will get there!!!
NanciT

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:26 pm

I personally would call the first 2 months early recovery.

I did not feel well enough to begin light exercise or return to (mostly) normal life until about 4 months out of treatment. I had been in good shape prior to C. diff running during my pregnancy (running 30 miles per week before my most recent pregnancy) and weight training. I was only able to return to going on short runs about a month ago (I am 7 months out). C. diff can take awhile to recover from, but you will get there!!

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:42 pm

Hi,
Dificid worked for me....I did have pi-ibs for quite some time....
I made slow but steady recovery progress. Most of my steps back into bowel misery were from my diet trials & the anxiety it gave me...The monster gave me mostly temporary food intolerances (still cannot eat fried or greasy food, but that's ok)
It was difficult, but I am a success story and you will be as well !
What helped me through was my wife, this web site, hiking with my dog, light excercise and having someone to talk with regarding my anxiety/terror/fear....
Scott

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:21 am

Usually relapse time frame is between 72 h and 12 weeks but most of them happen in the first two weeks so I'd say that , at this point you can be optimistic. Also , it seems that you are not experiencing what we call post infectious IBS since your bad day symptoms are only a few rumblings and fatigue and your stools are mostly formed with normal frequency.The rumbling and gas can also be due to the amount of probiotic you are taking and diet. Watch your diet , eat well but within reason , reintroduce new foods slowly , and try 1-2 cups of fennel seed tea for the gas (it worked better then simethicone for me) .
I think the Dificid has done it's job and kicked cdiff's ass!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”