Surgery after cdiff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
juweee
New User

Re: Surgery after cdiff

Postby juweee » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:06 am

I just wanted to give a quick update on my surgery in case anyone comes across this thread for reference.

I am two weeks post-op from laparoscopic appendectomy, and so far knock on wood everything is going well.

Quick history, I was on antibiotics for 8 weeks (+ vanco) to keep treat infection to cecum and appendix from peritonitis. Then I had a colonoscopy, and appendectomy 2.5 weeks later. The whole time I took probiotics which I listed in another thread:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19777

I received one dose of IV antibiotics during the surgery (doc was insistent that the benefits outweighed the risk of a single dose), and although I had a bottle of vanco handy in case of relapse, doc did not want me to take prophylactically.

My entire episode was perhaps unusual, considering the long antibiotic treatment I received, and the risk of colonoscopy + surgery so close to my cdiff infection (7/7/14), but I wanted to share my short term outcome so far, in case anyone is faced with similar difficult decision.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for sharing and I hope that you continue to heal. Glad the surgery went well.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:34 am

So glad the surgery went well for you. It sounds like you are recovering just fine. Thank you for sharing!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”