Trazadone risk of c diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
hledgess
Regular Contributor

Trazadone risk of c diff

Postby hledgess » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:22 am

I've always had insomnia but my Xanax I use has been cut back so I asked my dr for a sleep aid and he prescribed trazadone..I looked it up and read ppl taking that medicine are 6 times more likely to have c diff.. anyone heard of that? Also anyone have chronic insomnia their entire life and what have you used that has helped?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Trazadone risk of c diff

Postby georgina » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:24 am

I've taken Trazodone after Cdiff , I was fine with it , slept fine , no relapse but unfortunately it stopped working after 2 months so I had to switch to another sleep aid.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 1:31 am

My mother took it after c diff and did not get a relapse. She was in her late 80s at the time.

Bobbie
Administrator

Postby Bobbie » Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:43 pm

"This medication is used to treat depression. It may help to improve your mood, appetite, and energy level as well as decrease anxiety and insomnia related to depression. Trazodone works by helping to restore the balance of a certain natural chemical (serotonin) in the brain."

I was on trazadone years ago for a short time without problems If you have questions on drugs I would call your local pharmacist.

I, too, have problems with insomnia - esp after c diff. Exercise (but not close to bedtime ) helps some. A heating pad helps me relax.

Good luck.

justme
Long Time Contributor

Postby justme » Sat Jul 08, 2017 9:50 pm

My Neurologist wanted me to take it instead of Ambien (Zolpidam). It made me dizzy, gave me a headache with a bit of nausea and did not make me even remotely sleepy. I'm back on Ambien. I am a chronic insomniac (runs in the family) and Ambien is the only thing that works for me. I have intractable IBS as a result of C. Diff, so even a remote risk of something like this contributing to a recurrence of C. Diff is just another reason for me not to try it again. At 73, with a bad heart and brain damage (caused from an SCD), I'm not worried about addiction. I just want to live each day I'm given in relative comfort and the ability to sleep well at night. I take a myriad of pills for my heart and I also take a low dose of Xanax for stress (as needed).

I used to drink a cup of cocoa along with crackers and peanut butter before bed to relax, but due to IBS, I can no longer tolerate any of those food groups. I also use a heating pad to relax my lower abdomen (I don't know what I would do without it) - on low with an automatic turn-off switch of course.

Good luck navigating the treacherous waters of medication, their side effects, and any potential risk to a C. Diff recurrence.

Aloha,
Anne

hledgess
Regular Contributor

Postby hledgess » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone .... my neurologist put me on triazolam .. haven't tried it yet bc I'm waiting to not be alone bc it can cause sleep walking n weird things but no known c diff issue .. I have chronic insomnia bc I have POTS .. an autonomic issue ..so I can't do the normal things ppl do to relax bc nothing works .. only reason I turned to medicine..

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”