C Diff Recovery

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
kbell
Brand New Poster

C Diff Recovery

Postby kbell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:10 am

My 5-year old daughter tested positive for C Diff at the end of May during a course of Keflex for strep throat. She had also take amoxicillin for an ear infection 1.5 months prior to that. She finished a 14-day course of Flagyl on 6/8/17. Today marks three weeks. Our GI has been wonderful and supportive and currently has her on VSL and Florastor, and Pentasa (for undiagnosed colitis flare last year, suspected IBD but all tests came back negative). When she got C Diff this year, we had flashbacks of her colitis flare last year - it was almost exactly the same and it was also after antibiotics (Amoxicillin and Zithromax for a really bad sinus infection). We are wondering now if she had C Diff last year but the test came back negative? Anyway, my question is in regards to recovery. Three weeks after Flagyl, she is having 1-2 mostly solid bowel movements per day but I am still noticing mucus and no blood. My concern is the mucus I am seeing. Our GI is not concerned. She said to call her if she starts going more frequently, looser stool, blood, and cramping. Is mucus in the stool a normal part of C Diff recovery. Our GI also said it takes awhile for the gut to recovery after Flagyl. Any feedback is much appreciated!!

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: C Diff Recovery

Postby NanciT » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:56 am

Hello kbell and Welcome to the site Please read the first forum for all new posters.

I am so sorry about you 5y/o! So difficult enough, but for a child!!! Your GI is correct, recovery can take some time. We look for 3 days of WD to become concerned. The gut needs time to heal with 2 formed BM's in the morning, that is a good sign.
Hopefully you will continue to see her improve and this will be in the past!

I hope she feels better soon

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:06 pm

Sounds like you have a good GI who understands c.diff.
Remember that no test should be done to see if its gone.
You will have to be cautious about using antibiotics is the future.
Most childhood problems, including sinus "infections" and strep clear up without treatment or are not bacterial.

OCmama
Regular Contributor

Postby OCmama » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:50 pm

Hi kbell! I agree with everything that nanciT and Roy said. I know it is very unnerving to see mucus, but as long as she doesn't start going 3+ times per day with additional symptoms just keep doing what you are doing. Probiotics, handwashing and avoiding any unnecessary antibiotics. Hang in there!

kbell
Brand New Poster

Postby kbell » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:37 pm

Hi All, thanks so much for the warm welcome and support. I did email our GI this morning letting her know we are 3 weeks out now post-c. diff and seeing mucus. She is ordering us a calprotectin test to see where my daughter is at as far as inflammation level in her colon (mucus is also a sign of IBD). She was doing so great last week but then had pizza, cake, cookies at a birthday party over the weekend. It is very difficult with a child to deal with c diff. But she is starting to understand that she has to be careful with what she eats and always ask me first.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:08 am

Don't think it's Cdiff , it seems that the pizza , cake etc that she ate flared up IBS and mucus is a sign of a irritated bowel. I'm sure the symptoms will subside soon but she needs to go back on a bland diet for a few days and after things settle down she needs to remove all junk food from her diet and stick to healthy foods.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:08 am

Had mucus for quite awhile into recovery and still have it occasionally after questionable diet choices. If your daughter is having 1-2 formed BMs, sounds like she is on the right path!

~Lauren

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:38 pm

It is so difficult for a young child to understand that she should not eat fun foods when she is feeling well.
You are fortunate to have a good dr.
Keep doing what you are doing and do your best to have her go back to a blander diet if she has these flares. They are not unusual, as everyone has told you.
It's the old adage that it hurts us more than it hurts our child!
It sounds as though she will be fine.

Rita

kbell
Brand New Poster

Postby kbell » Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:34 pm

Thank you all for the encouraging words. Since my original post my daughter continues to have very solid stools with mucus 1-2 x's per day. We are being very careful with her diet. I've always thought mucus accompanies diarrhea so it is very confusing and hard to understand the hard stools with mucus. We submitted a calprotectin test yesterday so we should find out in a few days the level of inflammation. Thank you for your support and words of wisdom.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”