C-diff from Carrier

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jmsp
Brand New Poster

C-diff from Carrier

Postby jmsp » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:03 am

Hello, quick background. I acquired "one of the worst" c-diff infections GI doctor's ever seen 3 years ago when I was 25. I had been working in a nursing home with poor compliance with patients that had c-diff. That coupled with my history of antibiotic use (although I was not on antibiotics at the time) for years for acne, as well as stomach medication for GERD set me up for the infection. I relapsed once, shortly after my initial infection. Since then my stomach has not been the same. I had some scares, but I get tested when I do, with most recent coming back as negative month ago. However, I wonder about me picking up an infection from carriers? There is a worker over the house for my AC, that his wife works as a nurse he informed. Most professionals I talk to say that all healthcare workers are carriers of c-diff, like MRSA etc. and that they spread to family as carriers as well? I know this may be TMI but he used our bathroom for # 2 (didn't flush...so you can imagine the hygiene in his own home >.<). I am concerned picking up c-diff again. I read numerous articles stating that carriers are actually contagious, but less so than someone with a full blown infection. But apparently they offer no treatment or further pre-cautions etc. But if they ARE contagious, what am I to do? I feel like I am susceptible. I take Florastor daily and still bleach my environment as much as possible, take precautions etc. But right now this worker is ALL OVER the house (up the attic, in the kitchen, etc.). Am I being paranoid?

Davidtm
Regular Contributor

Re: C-diff from Carrier

Postby Davidtm » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:24 pm

The good bacteria in your system is protective against colonization of c diff and progression to disease. There are a lot of things implicated in cdiff as a disease with the main one being antibiotic usage. Others like chemo, ppi, surgeries, diabetes, and other various medical conditions can make a person susceptible. But if you're in generally good health I wouldn't worry about it. I can't imagine how many times I came in contact with c diff in my life where it wasn't a problem. It's pretty much everywhere and although more common in certain places it's still everywhere. I gave up on fearing the spore at this point beyond good hygiene and bleaching the bathroom a few times a week. My significant other is a carrier, I have a baby who is probably a carrier, and my other daughter is 8 and probably brings home all kinds of things on her shoes from school. So in a nutshell just clean the bathroom and try not to stress it. I had a plumber come over a few months ago and you know his shoes are covered in diff. Can't live in fear and sounds like you're far enough out that your good bacteria will be protective. Even though there are people who get infected without all the things listed above its rare. I wouldn't be concerned just clean the bathroom and I'm sure you'll be fine. I'm a hypochondriac so its hard to not worry about the spores being everywhere. I'm at a point where I don't care where the spores are so long as my good bacteria is where it's supposed to be.
All the best

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:56 pm

If you had c difficile, chances are that you still have dormant spores in your system anyway. Unless you do something to mess up the good flora in your body, like take antibiotics, you should be ok. I started with c difficile 9 years ago and my digestive tract has never been the same either. When you use a public restroom, you most likely pick up the bacteria on your shoes too. It is in many places. Just practice good hand hygiene. I always wash my hands after I put on shoes.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 pm

That's so disgusting :( but at least you got to close the lid on the toilet before you flushed. I would use a cleaner with bleach to clean the bathroom and any door handles he touched because I'm OCD. Then I would just forget about it.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”