When to retest to clear C-Diff infection?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lkbeck
New User

When to retest to clear C-Diff infection?

Postby lkbeck » Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Hey everyone, So I recently about a week ago got off antibiotics from my third episode of C-diff. I got tested yesterday for C-diff to see if it was still in my system but I am not sure when I should have actually got tested for it again. Do you have to wait a certain amount of time? I have seen online that it says 2 -3 days? Not sure, anyways if people that have successfully gotten rid of this can let me know that would be great! Also for underwear can I wash it with vinegar or does it have to bleach? If so won't the bleach ruin all my underwear? Should I just buy new underwear overall?

Healed
Regular User

Re: When to retest to clear C-Diff infection?

Postby Healed » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Hello Llbeck~
My prayers are with you. There is a section on this blog/website about testing. I think the standard time frame or suggested time frame is 7 to 14 days or 10 to 14 days and the longer the better after you complete treatment, to do the testing. I tested about 11 or 13 days after I finished my vanco treatment via EA toxins A+B ..I thought I was having a relapse. The results were negative. And then about A month and 1/2 later I got retested with both the EIA toxins A+B and the PCR and both tested negative. initially my doctor didn't want me to get tested. I can't remember why but he says some times it can come out positive due to protiens or something...And I think it is not recommended to test for a cure. But because I was fearful of a relapse, my GI doctor did the first testing. Of course, I kept whinning. So then I went to my PCP to get tested again..But she decided to do both the PCR and the EIA toxins A+B. And tested negative for both. I am now in the recovery phase --- it has been 3 months out since my diagnosis. And 2 1/2 months since last treament. By all means, please was underclothes, sheets and towels, blankets.. Anything close contact with your body.. Wash in bleach.. But of course, not your jeans and clored clothes.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:03 pm

The official and highly scientific recomendation is that you NEVER test to see if C.diff is gone.
The tests are no use after the first diagnosis, both positive and negative retests can very often be wrong.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:22 am

I've had a positive PCR test for the last year - ever since the spores got reactivated after taking antibiotics. I don't have D, so I have not treated. The test even says that I may be colonized. Unless you have symptoms, don't treat just based on a test.

christyn
Regular User

Postby christyn » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:45 am

I too have 3 positive tests in 3 months. I was told to not test within 14 days from the last dose of antibiotics. However, nurse practitioner consulted with doctors after my last positive test because I was not having typical symptoms. She came back and said we should have waited 1 month.

Roy and beth22 are correct from what I have read, you cannot test for a cure because it is a bacteria produced in our system even when healthy. I have been told by posters on this site and a friend that is a nurse if I am not showing symptoms do not test or treat.

Unfortunately, from what I have read from microbiologists bleach is the only thing that kills spores of this bacteria. However, they did say if bleach is not possible wash in really hot water and dry on the highest setting.

Good luck!!

Machaon
Regular Contributor

Postby Machaon » Thu Jun 15, 2017 12:10 pm

christyn wrote:
> Unfortunately, from what I have read from microbiologists bleach is the
> only thing that kills spores of this bacteria. However, they did say if
> bleach is not possible wash in really hot water and dry on the highest
> setting.

I can't use detergents or chemicals on my clothes, so I boil water and pour it into a bucket containing my undies. I don't know it's effectiveness, but when I read that you have to cook meat to 165 degrees to insure that it is safe, I hope 212 degrees does the job on my undies. One can at least hope...
Male 77 S.Florida

900 weight lifts 750 knee bends day

Since 1987 had CHF afib asthma

I inhale $6 Flonase nasal spray for asthma :)

Ex C-diff (4/19/17- 9/12/17) after 10 days dificid

Diet:6 meals ~1500 cals 2 eggs 2 steamed broccoli, apple, bagels

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:12 pm

Boiling water won't kill the spores but will kill the active phase bacteria. Bleach won't ruin underwear if you add it to the wash using the dispenser. It might lighten the color a bit, but I wouldn't call that ruined. Use the hot cycle when you run the wash.

If your symptoms are gone there really isn't a need to test again. I've had multiple negative tests since I was cured, so it's not guaranteed that you will test positive for life, but I wouldn't treat if you have no symptoms. If you still feel the same now as you did before treatment and test positive you may need a different medication.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:53 pm

Poster has already said they can't use any chemicals

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”