On Vanco but experiencing diarrhea

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
dunerkat
New User

On Vanco but experiencing diarrhea

Postby dunerkat » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:00 pm

Hello - I am in the midst of my first relapse of c. diff. My original bout with this disease was 5/2017 and resulted in hospitalization. I had double pneumonia so was on antibiotics and it flared up again. I have been on Vanco for 7 days and still have some diarrhea. I'm also now on Bactrim for a UTI I acquired during all this. My question is - can you still have diarrhea while taking Vanco? I'm terrified the Bactrim has started it all back up. I just got over my constant fear of c. diff and now that it's back, the fear has returned. Ugh, hate this!!!!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: On Vanco but experiencing diarrhea

Postby georgina » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:29 am

Are you having runny D with high frequency or just one or two soft movements in the morning?
If you are having the "classic" Cdiff diarrhea , your vanco dosage might not be enough to control the symptoms especially since you are taking another antibiotic at the same time , you can go back to your doctor and ask to revise your dosage or wait it out and see if symptoms resolve after you finish the Bactrim course. Are you taking any probiotics? A yeast probiotic like Saccharomyces boulardii might help bulk up your stool.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:59 am

Was your UTI proven by having a culture done?
LOADS of posters report UTI type symptoms while on vanco, it's a known regular side effect and BACTRIM or any other antibiotic are not required.

dunerkat
New User

Postby dunerkat » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:27 am

I had a culture done and I did have a UTI. Still have 5 days of antibiotic to take. I'm having multiple bouts of diarrhea which began two days ago. Prior to the Bactrim it had slowed down to very little. I am thinking of contacting the doctor and asking about the Vanco, whether it's enough. I am taking probiotics as well. Thank you all for responding.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”