Can I prepare meals?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
bombbomb
New User

Can I prepare meals?

Postby bombbomb » Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:24 pm

The nurse I spoke to made it sound like I should go live in a hotel room in isolation until this cdiff is cured. How infectious am I really? I can't find a straight answer online. Every medical report I find say I should roam around in a hazmat suit or something while everything else says wash your hands and bleach your toilet and its fine. Which is it?

Healed
Regular User

Re: Can I prepare meals?

Postby Healed » Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Hello BombBomb~
How unfortunate that you have acquired this beast.
Yes- you can prepare meals. Just make sure you keep your hands washed with soap and water at all times. I would also suggest that you clip your finger nails to avoid dirt or fecal matter from getting trapped under your nails.

One of the things that nurses told me was that it was important that I kept my bathroom bleached down and floors especially if you share the bathroom with others in your household. And,I don't but I still followed instructions. Also, that you want to don't re-infect yourself. Also, make sure when you wash your linens such as your sheets; blankets; bath towels with clorox bleach. I became so obsessive, I would use a new, clean, fresh towel & washcloth each time I showered. Because the beginning of my active cdiff infection diarreah was occuring so much- or too much for me too handle, I was showering night and day. Again, I used fresh cleaned bleached towel and wash cloths each time. And then after I got better and the diaarreha slowed down and the stopped, I was able to shower just in the morning or once a day, but again, I still use a fresh clean towel & washcloth every day. Like a person would do if they were staying in a hotel. Which also meant, I was washing clothes about every 4 or 5 days a week. You can purchase the germicidal bleach wipes for when u need to do a quick clean for bathroom. And purchased some multipack gloves. Also, the germicidal bleach spray is good also. You don't have to do any mixing. The Germicidal Bleach and wipes can be purchased on Amazon. I was late in finding out about the product. At the beginning- I just kept using regular clorox bleach. My living room hardwood floors, I wasn't sure about using bleach-- I would use lysol floor cleaner, but always kept socks and slippers on my feet when walking on my floors. But I believe now, I am not going to care about messing up my hardwood floors, and now I am going to bleach my living room floors down also. It has been about 3 1/2 months out for me--And yes, I am cdiff free; mentally, I am suffering w/post traumatic stress and IBS. Also, for me, I would clipped my finger nails down. Handwashing w/ soap and water is very important, And that applies regardless, if u have an infection or not. But, get a good moisturizing hand soap, so your hands will not dry out. Use paper towels to dry hands and turn off knobs on sink w/paper towels. I use germicidal bleach wipes to wipe down my mobile phone, tablets, computer, remote controls about twice a day. Also, I would bleach down my kitchen floors, use bleach in my dishes, and wiped down my outside frigde w/ bleach. And today, I still bleach down my bathroom. I had to purchase new blankets and sheets becuz I was using so much bleach in my linens, that the colors change and got holes them. So now, I have all white sheets and a white blanket. But now, use just a little bleach in my linen to wash.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: Can I prepare meals?

Postby amyc » Sat Jun 03, 2017 5:03 pm

I cooked for my family with C diff, but had them serve themselves when it was done, and didn't make salads or sandwiches while I was sick.

You could buy rubber disposable doctor's gloves to use in the restroom, still wash hands after removing them when you're done to reduce risk even more.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”