C Diff with J pouch (since 1984)

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
maryfl
Brand New Poster

C Diff with J pouch (since 1984)

Postby maryfl » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:40 pm

This is my first post. Does anyone on here have a J pouch, have kidney disease and have C Diff? In Sept. 2015 I passed out in grocery store from pain around left side of waist. Went to ER. Am in Stage 3 kidney disease. Got a little better, but since Feb, 2017, have not felt well at all and have just had to cancel trip to family in UK. In April I was in ER twice and then admitted to hospital for three days. They checked for C Diff but clear. Have been having pain around left waist and bad D. Since 1984 I have taken Metamucil twice a day as that is what keeps me semi solid. However, lot of pain recently so went to gastro dr. Put me on Hydrocortizone enemas at night, and suggested I take VSL#3. That was helping me, except for waist pain - took four capsules of VSL#3 per day. Gastro had wanted me to do stool test, so when I went in took my stool test. Dr. called yesterday and said I was positive for C Diff and to go on Metronidazole 500mg x3. Took one with dinner last night and I leaked D like I have never leaked it. So have message into kidney dr. as I read that you should not take Flagyl if you have kidney disease. Does anyone else have bad pain round the rear of the left waist?

cnatra
Contributor

Re: C Diff with J pouch (since 1984)

Postby cnatra » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:30 pm

Sounds like C Diff :(

See if you can get a prescription for Vancomycin or ideally Dificid .

Either will be more effective than Flagyl , especially the Dificid.

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:15 pm

Hello maryfl - Welcome to the site, but so very sorry you are dealing with c-diff on top of other illnesses. Please read the first forum for all new users on rules of posting, standard intro, info on testing, etc.

I agree with cnatra and to see if you can be switched to vanco or dificid as they have higher cure rates, especially if you can't take the Flagyl with kidney disease. You are already taking VSL-3 which is a very good probiotic, but 4 seems like a lot to me, but you should listen to your doctor. Some people can't tolerate a lot of probiotics, as they can also cause GI issues. Another really good probiotic that many take, especially when on meds is Sacchromyces Boulardii. Florastor is a name brand for this probiotic. It is a yeast probiotic which will not be killed off by antibiotics. VSL-3 is live bacteria so it is killed off by the meds. Many will space the live bacteria probiotics from the c-diff meds.

There are many posters who have experienced pain with c-diff. Some find heating pads to be helpful. But, always good to make sure that your doctor is aware of any pain to make sure nothing else is going on.

I hope you feel better soon.
Lisa

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:36 am

Another vote for Vancomycin or Dificid, those have less side effects and higher cure rate . FLagyl might be too harsh for you, it has been for most of us, and it does give a little nephrotoxicity.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”