UV-C light to disinfect

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jgnyc
Brand New Poster

UV-C light to disinfect

Postby jgnyc » Sat May 13, 2017 10:20 am

Hi, I am new to this group and hoping to get some help, as I am newly diagnosed. Now on Flagyl for 10 days and have also started to "disinfect" my home. I am wondering whether anyone has any information about those UV-C "wand" disinfecting lights and whether they actually work to kill c-diff? I have tried to research online but can't really find a definitive answer. I would think if it does work, this would be great to carry for travel and general upkeep in the home once done with bleaching. Any info appreciated.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Re: UV-C light to disinfect

Postby NanciT » Sat May 13, 2017 7:16 pm

Hello jgnyc and Welcome to the site Please read the first thread for all new posters

As far as the UV light, there is a robot the hospitals are using with success in killing CDIFF spores but this is extremely advanced and costly. If you go to the MEDIA sections, there have been a few articles posted about it. Not very many hospitals use it due to cost. Most clean with bleach.

I do not believe any hand held device would work on the spores. The robots used are at high levels.

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Re: UV-C light to disinfect

Postby roy » Sat May 13, 2017 8:20 pm

Unfortunately they are no where near powerfully enough.
Also unless you had "accidents" where you soiled your furnishings your home is not contaminated.
Simple sensible cleaning using bleach is ample in the home.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”