Why wouldn't Vanco for a year work?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
STS-0
Regular User

Why wouldn't Vanco for a year work?

Postby STS-0 » Thu May 11, 2017 7:28 pm

C. Diff spores can survive from six months to a year, correct? Then can somebody tell me why a continuous course of Vanco for a year wouldn't completely eradicate a stubborn C. Diff infection?

I know we're supposed to avoid prolonged antibiotic use, but people wind up on and off antibiotics for years due to being recurrent anyway.

cody1
Regular User

Re: Why wouldn't Vanco for a year work?

Postby cody1 » Thu May 11, 2017 9:51 pm

I think spores can only last outside the body for a year, but inside the body I think they can last a lot longer than that, maybe even forever.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Fri May 12, 2017 12:53 am

Spores are extremely resistant and have very good protection mechanism inside the body , they are staying dormant inside a biofilm , a slimy substance that is produces by the bacteria itself for keep itself protected which is resistant to antibiotics and disinfectants, and the bacterial spore can survive inside it for a longer period. Staying on Vanco for more then a year won't guarantee that the spore will die.

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Fri May 12, 2017 10:22 am

Spores can survive outside the body on exposed surfaces for a long time, some say 6 to 12 months some say a lot longer.
While they are in their "home" be that an animals gut a human gut or in soil they might live indefinitely.
Taking vanco continuously might keep it under control but would not cure you.
The real cure only happens when your gut flora regrows and is strong enough to eradicate or suppress the overgrowth of c.diff.
Vanco kills around 20% of your good bacteria so there would be repercussions to your immune system if you were continually on meds.
Also Vanco is classed as a reserved antibiotic, there's some infections that only vanco will cure.
In 1994 Drs were ORDERED not to prescribe vanco recklessly and that instruction is still in place today.
If the patients took vanco daily for so long it's possible that bacteria (C.diff included) could become resistant to it.
Vanco is used sparingly because they want it to continue working for future generations.
That does not help the c.diff sufferer that just wants quick relief from symptoms though.

Zapper
Regular Contributor

Postby Zapper » Sun May 21, 2017 4:27 pm

I took vanco for 13 months straight for pregnancy and postpartum to keep c diff at bay while I had my baby and recovered. I relapsed worse than ever about 10 days or so after my taper ended.
I was surprised and very disappointed that it didn't "cure" me. So overall, I would highly suggest against it.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:51 pm

I took vanco for a long time and it did not cure me either. I had to have a FMT. The spores go into a protective mode when they are attacked by an antibiotic and when the antibiotic (vanco) is stopped, then they germinate. There is nothing that kills the spores inside the body, unfortunately.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”