what to expect

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lyssadee
New User

what to expect

Postby lyssadee » Wed May 10, 2017 1:26 pm

Alright guys..the past 2 posts have all been me, but hopefully this will be my last one. I'm on my last 3 days of metronidazole, I haven't been adventurous with my foods yet but my stools are much more normal, still soft (is that normal for right now?) but much more on the verge of normal. What should i be expecting once i'm officially done with the meds? Can i start introducing eggs, potatoes slowly at this point? i've just been so scared! Thanks guys! Let's pray this is one and done!

roy
Administrator

Re: what to expect

Postby roy » Wed May 10, 2017 1:43 pm

Personally I would not change my diet for at least 2 weeks after finishing meds.
That way you know that if symptoms do return it's not food related.
Expect some off days while your gut recovers, and don't retest to see if it's gone.
Meds do not just switch off c.diff, your immune system has to recover and finish the job of cure before the c.diff can multiply and return.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Wed May 10, 2017 3:34 pm

Soft but formed is great and sounds you are where you should be at this point in treatment. As Roy mentioned, you are not going to immediately bounce back to normal once you're finished the antibiotics so be gentle with your stomach, stay hydrated, and worry about introducing new foods in 1-2 weeks. Your movements may be all over the place in recovery so try not to worry too much unless the watery diarrhea returns or other concerning symptoms like blood, high fever, etc. Hope you are in the 80% who are cured with 1-2 rounds of medication.

~Lauren

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Thu May 11, 2017 12:25 am

Glad you had good results with Flagyl , let's hope that it did the trick. Like others said , recovery starts when you get off meds , do expect "off" days and try not to panic unless classic Cdiff symptoms return. Be careful about the way you are reintroducing your food , start with one new food per day to see how your gut responds to it. Eggs and potatoes should sit well with you ,they were tolerated by most of us.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”