VSL 3

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lyssadee
New User

VSL 3

Postby lyssadee » Mon May 08, 2017 9:54 pm

Looking at the product it looks like it contains lactose and sugar, both..I keep reading so many mixed reviews pertaining to it, and I'm iffy because it's expensive. Is it really all its cut out to be? People who can't tollerate yogurt like me, were you able to stomach it?

Bobbie
Administrator

Re: VSL 3

Postby Bobbie » Mon May 08, 2017 10:41 pm

Opinions about probiotics vary widely - amoung both doctors and patients. Some swear by them and some claim they cause additional discomfort.

I have a long history of c diff which weakened my immune system and contributed to 8 bouts of pneumonia. During 3 of thosse bouts, I asked for,a z park and took VSL3 - as far apart from the antibiotic as possible. I did not develop c diff. I have no idea why. I had used VSL3 in the past without success.

VSL is expensive. You might order a small amount and try it. Costco is supposed to have a good price. There is a toll free number on the pkg and I would call it with questions.

This is not a recommendation for VSL3 but my personal experience.

Best of luck. Keep,us posted.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Mon May 08, 2017 11:00 pm

I agree with Bobbie, probiotics are different for everyone and we can only give you are personal experiences. I tried several but could only tolerate VSL#3 which I buy at Costco. It is still costly. I took 2 while CDIFF positive and them my GI told me to stop. I found the IBS much worse so started taking it again just 1/day and have stayed on it. Could not take Florester and had trouble with a few others.

NanciT

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 09, 2017 1:42 am

I could not tolerate yogurt or dairy, but was able to take VSL#3. I only take part of a capsule though.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Wed May 10, 2017 8:48 pm

I took 2 capsules of vsl3 every day while on my c diff abx.... I would take them several hours after each abx pill....
I now use it as my daily probiotic (half capsule a day)....
I cannot handle yogurt or most dairy but can tolerate vsl3 just fine....
If you decide to take them start with a small amount and if you are ok gradually increase the quantity...
Vsl3 must remain cold...Do not buy any stored on a shelf in the store.... If you order it through the mail make sure it is sent to you in a cold pack....That's what my GI told me....My pharmacy keeps them in the frig....
He also told me not to take them with hot food or beverages....
Scott

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”