first time...?

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
lyssadee
New User

first time...?

Postby lyssadee » Sat May 06, 2017 11:11 pm

Hi all! So, long story short, I got a bad cat scratch two weeks ago. I was put on antibiotics, Cefdinir and metronidazole, and I felt great. The moment I stopped taking them, C Dif hit me like a truck. They determined it to be C Dif about 3 days later due to blood showing up in my stool very quickly, and the BM's were super frequent, sometimes 5 times an hour. I'm now back on Metronidazole again, second round but first time as a cure. I guess I feel very lost, but this forum has saved my little faith I had left. My questions are, i'm on day 7/14 of metronidazole, can I maybe start veering away from the BRAT diet if my BM's have been a bit more..intact, I guess? Also, can I take a probiotic DURING this course of antibiotic, too? Yogurt isn't agreeing whatsoever, dairy never really did. I know i need some type of probiotic, but I don't know where to turn! Thank you all. You're lifesavers!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: first time...?

Postby amyc » Sat May 06, 2017 11:31 pm

If the metro hasn't made you feel pretty normal before you finish you might want to call to ask about vancomycin. I like VSL#3 probiotic, and you can get it at Costco pharmacies, some other local pharmacies, or order it online. Hope you feel better soon!

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 07, 2017 12:22 am

Hi Lysadee
Welcome to the site , please check the first thread for rules of posting and also CDI section for useful tips.
It sounds like you are responding to metro so hopefully it will do the trick.If you start having less frequency and you BM are a bit firmer you can start adding more bland foods back into your diet:boiled eggs or scrambled , mashed potatoes or baked potatoes , veggie soup , chicken soup , baked or grilled chicken breast .Stay away from sugary treats , alcohol , spicy foods , raw fruits and vegetables and dairy if you say that you cannot tolerate lactose. VSL might be good for you ,but you have to remember to space it well apart from the metro (at least two hours) as the antibiotic will ruin any living bacteria from the probiotic. There is another option regarding probiotics , is a yeast based probiotic that it is not killed by the antibiotic and it can be taken at the same time with it , Saccharomyces boulardii , you will find it under the name of Florastor. Hope you get well soon!

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Sun May 07, 2017 5:53 pm

I will absolutely second the florastor and maybe consider kefir. I now dairly yogurt doesn't agree with you but kefir has very,p little lactose and most tolerate it quite well even if they have had issues with yogurt in the past. Lifeaway makes flavored varieties that are actually quite good, although they do have a bit of sugar in them. Good luck and go slow and easy with the reintroduction of foods.

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”