How do you know if you still have C-Diff

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
sophie
Regular Contributor

How do you know if you still have C-Diff

Postby sophie » Sat May 06, 2017 1:27 pm

In my case, I seem to be constipated every couple days. My dr. told me to take Colace and not worry. I worry!

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Re: How do you know if you still have C-Diff

Postby amyc » Sat May 06, 2017 1:29 pm

Try Metamucil daily. If that bothers you try benefiber. Better to keep things regular every day. Only way to know if you have C diff is to test for C diff. But getting C every so often would never lead me to request a C diff test.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sat May 06, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks AMYC. I thought i would give crushed flax seeds a try. I'm so not wanting to rely on any product like Colace or Metumucil (but will if i have no choice). Enjoy your weekend.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Sat May 06, 2017 11:27 pm

Metamucil comes in tablets that are easy to swallow, and you can order them from Amazon. One or two is plenty! The bottle says to take lots of them every day, and I would explode haha.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Sun May 07, 2017 12:29 am

Having C for a few days and D for a few day along with some "normal" days it sounds like IBS . A fiber supplement in the C days should help you , prune juice can also help C.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Sun May 07, 2017 2:01 am

I used to be C before c difficile. I did not take the Metamucil because it gave me cramps and D. Prune juice or prunes are good as Georgina mentioned. I used to eat Raisin Bran cereal and tried to eat more fresh fruit and vegetables. After c diff, I have trouble with the fruit now, but if you can tolerate it, I would do that. The cereal helped too.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sun May 07, 2017 4:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies. Just a question. I took 1 colace on Friday and I actually had a normal output today. I always find when I have a movement after Colace or Miralax that my body is sore all over for the rest if the day. Does anyone else experience that?

Benh
Contributor

Postby Benh » Sun May 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Sophie, before c diff I was taking Metamucil or konsyl every day but did have to resort to Miralax or colace every so often and it definitely impacted how I felt for a day or two. Just made me feel off and my stomach would be soar, almost like my colon had a chance to expand again.

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Sun May 07, 2017 7:52 pm

Thanks Ben; i sppreciate your response. It's such a double edged when it makes you feel better one way then makes you feel bad another.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 am

Alternating IBS (classified as either IBS-A or IBS-M) is very common after c.diff. I am 4 1/2 months out and still go through this almost weekly. A fiber supplement, as others have mentioned, might help keep you a little more regular.

~Lauren

sophie
Regular Contributor

Postby sophie » Mon May 08, 2017 11:32 am

Thanks Lauren,
I've been taking miralex and colace on alternate days for the last couple days but I don't want o rely on these/ I woke up in the middle of the night with a pain in my lower right abdomen and have had incredible pain in my back since I got up. I wish something would happen.

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Postby georgina » Tue May 09, 2017 12:46 am

Using laxatives after Cdiff might create more unbalance in the gut flora and more irritation , try to relief C with natural supplements like fiber supplement , prune juices , aloe vera juice.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Tue May 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Make sure to drink a lot of fluids, especially water, when c, and especially when you are taking any fiber supplements or increasing fiber intake.

Rita

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”