Yellowish brown, greasy, sometimes formed stools 5 months post antibiotics for c didf

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
DandyDan
Brand New Poster

Yellowish brown, greasy, sometimes formed stools 5 months post antibiotics for c didf

Postby DandyDan » Tue May 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Hey everyone,

So 5 months post taking antibiotics for c diff. I'm 25 male, and my stools are still yellowish brown or brownish yellow. When I wipe its very yellow, and greasey. There is mucus in the stool or floating fairly regularly.

I usually have more M after lunch, and more solid stools in the morning. I believe this coincides with IBS, which I've had all my life, but have only had mucus and yellow color post c diff.

So 5 months out, taking 20 billion count probiotics every day which seem to help color a little, should I be concerned? My last test for c diff was about 6 weeks ago, which was negative. How long did it take for your stools to become normal color again? How long does it take gut flora to reach normal levels?

georgina
Long Time Contributor

Re: Yellowish brown, greasy, sometimes formed stools 5 months post antibiotics for c didf

Postby georgina » Wed May 03, 2017 12:37 am

DandyDan
Welcome to the site , please read rules of posting.
The stool descriptions belong to TMI thread!
We keep repeating that color doesn't mean anything as long as it's not red or black , the yellow color can be due to malabsorbtion , and mucus is a typical sign of IBS . If your are not having D and high frequency , there is nothing to worry about , you are experiencing what we call a "normal recovery".You also had a negative test , so that should put your mind at ease.
Friendly advice : stop looking in the toilet , just put the lid and flush!!

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: Yellowish brown, greasy, sometimes formed stools 5 months post antibiotics for c didf

Postby beth22 » Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 am

The color without D really doesn't mean much. Can be fast transit, what you are eating or not eating, and an imbalance of flora. I had it too until I got a stool transfer. It can take quite a while to replenish flora and it may not ever be the same as it was before - different, but not necessarily bad. Give it some time. If you get D for a few days in a row, then check it out.

Musings
Regular Contributor

Postby Musings » Fri May 05, 2017 10:40 am

I am just over 4 months post and have similar. As others have mentioned, it is all very common for PI-IBS so unless you get copious amounts of WD, flush, and move on :-]

~Lauren

maxny1
Regular Contributor

Postby maxny1 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:12 am

Just flush sounds like good advice but I'm not sure I'll ever be able to do that again ;)

I am much more on the side of normal than OP, 3 months out from a 3 month Vanco taper, but I still get very nervous when stool is at all 'off.'

I thought I'd be able to stop with the expensive probiotics, and I did for a bit, but then stool started getting 'off,' so I resumed one cap per day of ~150 billion CFU, and things became more consistently normal again.

Gozzenta
Brand New Poster

Postby Gozzenta » Sat May 13, 2017 4:36 am

hope you're right

Lisa33
Long Time Contributor

Postby Lisa33 » Mon May 15, 2017 10:44 am

I am not sure what happens to our guts post c-diff, but it changes some of us for a long time or forever. I had c-diff in Sept 2014 and I have had yellowish stools for the most part ever since. So, everything that you have described is actually pretty normal for me too. I have basically no consistency with BMs and have just accepted it as my "new normal." I think the color may have to do with my transit time, as I think food moves through me rather quickly. But who knows...I've actually stopped questioning it at this point. I've had every test under the sun done and nothing shows up. I don't think that you need to worry about it.

Lisa

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Postby beth22 » Tue May 16, 2017 1:52 am

It must have something to do with flora because I had that color until I had an FMT. After that, back to normal color.

Ril
Long Time Contributor

Postby Ril » Wed May 17, 2017 7:55 pm

It has to do with diet, transit time, flora, bile, probiotics/medications, ....does that give you an idea?

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”