New to C Diff -Questions about Rectal Pain

Please limit your post to questions only. You can ask multiple questions in the post. (One post per person per day about yourself. See exception in General C. diff.Discussion.)
jss4330
New User

New to C Diff -Questions about Rectal Pain

Postby jss4330 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:37 pm

Just a few questions and a little history. I am a 65 yo fairly healthy woman. I was diagnosed via PCR test a little over 1 month ago. They ran a stool test for 22 issues (parasites, viruses, etc.)and C Diff came up positive. Just before that I was on vacation in Mex and had sudden abdominal cramps and watery D. The residing doc gave me injection of Cipro plus 1,000 mg that night and 500 mg for 5 days. Never said what I had. "Some germ" was the explanation. The D. didn't go away during those 5 days but I got through the vacation because I brought some Imodium with me. After back in US for 3 days, stools were 2-3/day formed but soft. I felt nauseous and weak and thought I shouldn't be taking Imodium for that long so I went in to urgent care. Though my stools were formed, they still did the test GI stool test. After learning about c diff I see that the Cipro may have been the cause and the Imodium made it worse. Now, 1 month later, after 14 days Flagyl (terrible side effects) and 14 days Vanco immediately following, nothing has changed except I'm extremely weak and fatigued and have developed rectal pain. Is rectal pain common with c dif? Actually, this is what is bothering me the most. My doctor has not extended my Vanco and referred me to a GI doc which I can't get into for 3 weeks. When I saw her yesterday, she acted like she thought I may have never had c diff in the first place with because of no change with the Flagyl or Vanco. (I also didn't have abdominal pain, watery D after the initial infection in Mex which could have been e coli or traveler's D.) I did get a White Blood cell count done on my own after 5 days taking Flagyl and my count was about 11,500,(just outside the nl. range of 10,000) which could indicate mild infection. The doctor repeated the blood retest after 7 days and WB cell count was within normal range. Now I'm just left with Probiotics. She said to just call them if my symptoms get worse and she'll put me back on the Vanco. I don't know why, since it didn't make any difference the first time.Now, I'm taking Florastor and Florajen3. I want to also start on VSL#3 but I bought the capsules instead of the packets. Does anyone have any idea how many to take? I'm kind of afraid to take it. The bottle says 1-16. Any thoughts? Just to recap: 1) Is rectal pain common with c diff. Dr said she never heard of that. 2) Is anyone is taking VSL#3 capsules,and how many are you taking? 3) Have you ever heard of just going off vancomycin and no other rx. except probiotics?
Thank you for taking the time to read this. I have benefited greatly from all of the information that you share.

beth22
Long Time Contributor

Re: New to C Diff -Questions about Rectal Pain

Postby beth22 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:20 pm

I take the VSL#3 capsules. I only take part of a capsule, but most people take 1 or 2 a day. I would start with one and make sure they agree with you. If they do, you can take one with each meal or just two a day. I think spacing them out is better than taking a lot at once, but that is my personal opinion. Rectal pain can be caused by many things - hemorhoids, a fissure, etc. If you can't get in with a GI, try a colon and rectal surgeon (formerly called proctologists). They can look into the rectum with a little scope in the office and see if there is a tear or anything.

NanciT
Long Time Contributor

Postby NanciT » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:07 pm

Check with your GI about the rectal pain. Things can get very irritated with CDIFF but you need to get it checked. As far as VSL#3, I took it twice a day while on treatment ( 10 months) and then went to once/day which I have stayed on. It is very individual and you don't want to over due the Probiotics either which can cause gas and GI upset.

NanciT

roy
Administrator

Postby roy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 12:26 pm

Your Dr may be right, symptoms are probably not c.diff.
I don't know if I would rush into see a GI with those symptoms.

Sounds like you had a typical food bug in Mexico and the ongoing treatment has messed up your natural gut flora.
Only time repairs it. NOT more treatment.

Best to get the rectal pain checked if it continues more than a couple of weeks.

Acres
Regular Contributor

Postby Acres » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:11 pm

Hi,
I use vsl3 as well...During my antibiotic fight with c diff I would take 2 capsules daily spaced apart from the abx.....
Now I take 1/2 capsule a day (sprinkle it on cold food).....Start slow....

C diff gave me prostate issues which included rectal pain....
The scope does a good job checking the rectum....It's fast and feels like a prostate exam (not that bad)....

I've had a few scary "I think c diff is back episodes" since last year....My GI has told me several tines, even if I tested positive, we would not treat if my stools were formed (let my immune system do its job)....

For loose, but formed stools I used Pepto (in small quantities)....But ask your doctor first...

Get well soon,
Scott

jss4330
New User

Postby jss4330 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:36 pm

Thank you all for your replies and input about the VSL#3. I started it yesterday along with the Florastor. I know there is a danger with too many probiotics as well. I'm thinking about adding prebiotics but only in the form of foods. I do realize that I may not really have c diff (just colonized) being that my symptoms are not that severe at all. Upon reflection, so much discomfort those first few weeks very well could have been the side effects of the Flagyl. This is so confusing and difficult to sort out. Today I am 2 days post vanco and I feel normal energy, no rectal pain, 1 normal stool and a little abdominal discomfort. Chances are that the Flagyl and Vanco contributed to the problems?? If the rectal pain comes back, I certainly will get that checked further. I know they don't retest for cure, but I wonder if I could get a retest, just to see if Toxins are/were present. Does anyone know about that? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

jss4330
New User

Postby jss4330 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:08 pm

ONE MORE QUESTION> When reflecting on the question about the possible wrong diagnosis, I remembered that I had a positive PCR and those tests are supposed to check for toxins, right? If I am in the 5% of people who are just colonized, does that mean that being a carrier and can still be infectious? I read a blog post about a woman who was denied entry into a private assisted care facility because she once had c diff. Even after successful treatment, what are your doctors telling you about future precautions? I know it's wise to always be careful but my father is 97 years old, lives independently in the home and I'm somewhat afraid to go visit him.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon May 01, 2017 12:48 am

If you are feeling better, stop worrying about the past. I was cured by vancomycin after flagyl failed. It will take some time to be back to totally normal. C diff really, really injures your colon. The inflammation can cause that rectal pain you were feeling. If you get sick again you can get further testing, but for now it seems that you are on the mend, which is great.

amyc
Long Time Contributor

Postby amyc » Mon May 01, 2017 12:54 am

Since I was cured I have had multiple PCR tests that have all been negative. I had one of the negative tests right befor I went to visit my parents, because my dad had recently been hospitalized with diverticulitis, and I was worried about exposing him. If you are concerned about whether you could be a carrier or if you could expose him, I would talk with your doctor.

After C diff I have become way more cautious about taking antibiotics, and if I need them in the future will always ask for the least likely to cause C diff. Cipro and Clindamycin are really high offenders for causing C diff, so I will never take them again unless it's absolutely required.

jss4330
New User

Postby jss4330 » Mon May 01, 2017 12:04 pm

Thank you for your replies. I will consult with my doctor about being a carrier. What you all say makes a lot of sense. I so appreciate your input!

Return to “Questions about Clostridium difficile”